Car Starter

Danny Hsu

Someone told me there was a failsafe to starting the car when already started..is this true lol??

Have you tried to start your car once started?

Have you tried to start your car once started?
My doors stay locked while the remote starter is on so no. From what I hear even if u get in while the remotes on and u press the gas or clutch it switches off. Any reason way your wondering?

My doors stay locked while the remote starter is on so no. From what I hear even if u get in while the remotes on and u press the gas or clutch it switches off. Any reason way your wondering?
Oh because my buddy says the grinding noise you hear when it happens is like a failsafe letting you know it's already on and it prevents damage

Oh because my buddy says the grinding noise you hear when it happens is like a failsafe letting you know it's already on and it prevents damage
No if u have it running from the remote starter and put your key in it should shut off. That noise your buddy is hearing is the starter getting destroyed.

Nothing will happen to it I've done it more than twice to my Si and other cars as long as it doesn't become a habit your car should be fine.

Yeah I didn't realize it was on because it's so quiet

If it's not a remote start, and you're sitting in your car, try to remember to look at the tack needle before reattempting.(I've done it too).

The sound you hear is the starter's pinion gear......... when starting, the starter motor extends a shaft with gears that contact other gears and once the engine has started, it's gear is spinning..... if we turn the starter on again it will stick the starter pinion gear into the path of the now spinning gear in the engine, and that is the sound of gears grinding....... but as others have said, it not going to do much more than shave a little off both gears, best not to do it, but usually won't be much damage.

Nothing will happen to it I've done it more than twice to my Si and other cars as long as it doesn't become a habit your car should be fine.
I'm talking repetitively doing it, not just twice obviously doing it twice isn't gonna affect much if any damage at all.

It's easy replacing the ring gear on the flywheel. Once the starter pinion rips a couple of teeth off of the ring gear, you should be able to replace it in no more than 3 or 4 days doing it by yourself. :coffee:

Last edited:
Yeah I know there won't be much damage doing it once or twice. I just wanted to see if what my friend was saying was correct lol. I had a feeling he was wrong about the whole 'failsafe' in cars that prevents damage.

It's easy replacing the ring gear on the flywheel. Once the starter pinion rips a couple of teeth off of the ring gear, you should be able to replace it in no more than 3 or 4 days doing it by yourself. :coffee:
And this is the easy part? So a hard part to replace would take 3-4 weeks with help?:bricks:

And this is the easy part? So a hard part to replace would take 3-4 weeks with help?:bricks:
Depends on the help (and helper). You have to remove the starter, drop the transmission, remove the clutch, remove the flywheel. Sweat the ring gear off the flywheel (or purchase a new flywheel), carefully fit the new ring gear (if you can find one), sweat it in place, and then reassemble. Simple, no?

Back