changed my oil at 7486 miles today...

pukemon

first time in a looooong time i've seen oil that dark. MM was at 30% wednesday and changed to 20% somewhere between then and this morning. on my '13 civic si i did my first oil change at 2500 and break in oil was translucent and every subsequent oil change after that was translucent and not dark. each oil change after the first was 9-10k miles plus. yeah, one of my oil changes was at 15% with over 10,000 miles on it. i've always changed the break in oil early on all my new vehicles but decided to follow the MM and tech's advice in here and wait til it was closer to the 5-15% mark. well, i did at 20% and kind of regret it. i know that oil that dark doesn't mean anything bad short or long term, but it was disappointing to see. on that note, i would recommend changing oil before 5k mark. my gas mileage and acceleration were going downhill quick at ~30%. i know it's winter gas time but the break in oil started breaking down real quick. i put my usual 0w-20 valvoline full synthetic and i felt like i gained 15hp, better accel of course and better shifting though oil change should have nothing to do with that. many of you will probably disagree, but after what i saw today, next new car i go back to the 2500 mile first oil change and feel better about it personally. if you disagree, that's fine. to each their own. i just don't like seeing my oil that dark. my valvoline starts out vaseline colored but very clear when i pour it in, and i follow the maintenance minder, and it's come back out a reddish brown slightly translucent, meaning i could still see through it very well.

I change mine at every 2k miles I get free oil changes at my dealer. And I get it done every time it hits the 70% mark I don't like the maintenance reminder. Plus I got a 2012 so mine burns oil really really fast

Unless you are sending your oil in for analysis to support your suggestion of changing oil sooner than the iMid prompt, I would follow the iMid.

Oil color has no bearing on the condition of the oil.
Changing a synthetic at 2500 miles is a waste of money, oil, and bad for the environment.

Do you have some secret knowledge that Honda engineers don't? If so, I bet they would hire you. Honda is in the business of creating life-long repeat customers. They are not going to want you to have a bad experience based on the recommended oil change intervals. Hell, if anything, they would shorten the interval to get you to go to the dealership to get the oil changed more often.

If you disagree, I suggest getting your oil analyzed next time you change it.

Unless you are sending your oil in for analysis to support your suggestion of changing oil sooner than the iMid prompt, I would follow the iMid.

Oil color has no bearing on the condition of the oil.
Changing a synthetic at 2500 miles is a waste of money, oil, and bad for the environment.

Do you have some secret knowledge that Honda engineers don't? If so, I bet they would hire you. Honda is in the business of creating life-long repeat customers. They are not going to want you to have a bad experience based on the recommended oil change intervals. Hell, if anything, they would shorten the interval to get you to go to the dealership to get the oil changed more often.

If you disagree, I suggest getting your oil analyzed next time you change it.
my oil does not ever stay in the same level do you suggest me to get oil and just add it to current I thought it was bad to mix oil. By 70% my oil level is very low and I get an indicator light when I turn to tell me my oil level is very low. I go 80mph to work 60 miles to and back. I work in the middle of no where and that's the posted speed limit. And as everyone else's 2012 civic si our cars burn lots of oil. So what is your suggestion wait til 15%?

my oil does not ever stay in the same level do you suggest me to get oil and just add it to current I thought it was bad to mix oil. By 70% my oil level is very low and I get an indicator light when I turn to tell me my oil level is very low. I go 80mph to work 60 miles to and back. I work in the middle of no where and that's the posted speed limit. And as everyone else's 2012 civic si our cars burn lots of oil. So what is your suggestion wait til 15%?
Only a small VIN range has problems with burning oil. Have you had yours checked for excessive consumption by the dealership?

Adding oil is not a problem. Just stick with the same brand and weight.

Only a small VIN range has problems with burning oil. Have you had yours checked for excessive consumption by the dealership?

Adding oil is not a problem. Just stick with the same brand and weight.
Yea I have had mine checked for the clutch as well but since I'm second owner I don't receive the service campaigns and I tried getting my car serviced for both of those but honda won't help me
1d1fce935680148fcabba4f830680281.jpg

Yea I have had mine checked for the clutch as well but since I'm second owner I don't receive the service campaigns and I tried getting my car serviced for both of those but honda won't help me
1d1fce935680148fcabba4f830680281.jpg
If the car is under warranty, as a TSB, or a recall, Honda has to help you. Is there another dealership you could go to?

If the car is under warranty, as a TSB, or a recall, Honda has to help you. Is there another dealership you could go to?
Went to both of my local dealers. And contacted honda of America about this under the recall reps and customer service reps. Both said the vin has to match mines not qualified. The service campaign came in the news the other day and said that second owners usually never receive them.

Regardless of vin you could have oil issues. Don't bring up the tsb. Just bring up the fact you're burning a lot of oil. (X amount in X amount of miles). Top hole to bottom hole on the dip stick is about a quart.

Regardless of vin you could have oil issues. Don't bring up the tsb. Just bring up the fact you're burning a lot of oil. (X amount in X amount of miles). Top hole to bottom hole on the dip stick is about a quart.
Yea I'm going to investigate everything next Saturday I have an appointment setup

You could mention that you know of others who've had "oil consumption testing at their dealerships". See what their reaction is. You can always go to another dealership if they refuse to work with you. Document everything and who you talk to. It can all be sent to honda corporate.

Back