civic maintenance minder codes after reset

appa

Vehicle Model
Civic LX
hi folks:
I had 1st oil change done at 2600Mi on my 2012 civic
Today I did Oil change(2nd) + tire rotation at 6100Mi.
Both times, the MM light had *not* come on - I just went in for service simply based on Honda dealership's recommendation(in retrospect, this was not smart though).
Here is the situation:
A. I do not know if the dealership had reset the MM after 1st oil change.
B. After second oil change, the dealership says they reset the MM
After coming out of service shop today, I see display showing Main Item = "A", Oil life = 100%

My question is:
1. Assuming that dealer had reset the MM after 1st oil change, is the code currently being displayed after 2nd oil change correct? Should'nt it be Main Item ="B", Oil Life = 100%?
2. Assuming that the dealer had _not_ reset the MM after 1st oil change, is the code currently being displayed after 2nd oil change correct?
3. If I reset the MM once again (assuming #2 question), will it affect the way on board computer tracks maintenance schedules?​

The dealership should have reset the meter the first time. I'm guessing you never saw it say 100% between the first change and the 2nd?

CollegeHillsHonda is a honda dealership and should chime in on this. I don't want to give you the wrong info.

Thanks for the reply. Will also wait to see what CollegeHillsHonda has to say.

I'm guessing you never saw it say 100% between the first change and the 2nd?

I never saw it until after 2nd service. The key question is how do I determine if A + Oil life 100% on MM after 2nd oil change is correct? If it is not correct, would another reset to MM help?

Yes, if it has only been reset once you'd just reset it again. Paul from collegehills should be online tomorrow. They check the forums pretty much daily to answer pm's and stuff. Probably bad to say, but I've never looked at the lettering on the service minder. I just know when I need oil changes reset, or whatever done based on my current mileage or my own notes. Hang tight.

I would love to tell you what I think of the Maintenance Minder system but I won't....well maybe just a little. The idea behind the minder system is to have the vehicle take in a whole bunch of data and spit out when you are to have maintenance done. This will be a little different for every driver, therefore there is no set mileage or interval the vehicle will return an A or B service. Personally if I decided to go strictly by the computer in my car I would drive way beyond what I feel is a reasonable and safe service interval. Therefore I pretty much pretend the maintenance minder system doesn't exist.

If you really want the computer to tell you what and when maintenance is to be performed it is very important to make sure the system is reset properly after each and every service visit. Missing just one reset will throw off the timing of the system. If you are concerned that something was missed, the Honda dealer can hook a computer up to the car and reset individual services independently from one another. If you get that done you should be able to get the system back on track. I hope this helps.

so, at your next service/oil change, you can have them set the meter to the proper setting. I didn't know they can reset individual services, but it makes sense.

If you are concerned that something was missed, the Honda dealer can hook a computer up to the car and reset individual services independently from one another. If you get that done you should be able to get the system back on track.
thanks. I will follow this advise.
You said
Personally if I decided to go strictly by the computer in my car I would drive way beyond what I feel is a reasonable and safe service interval.
And also webby says
I just know when I need oil changes reset, or whatever done based on my current mileage or my own notes.

These comments obviously stem from your experience in cars. Could you folks please mind sharing those tit-bits to a layman like me? It would help a lot!

I just know that if I go by the maintenance minder to 15% or so, it tends to be around 7k miles (give or take). If you go 7k miles or so, you'd be doing a tire rotation each oil change. If you change your oil every 3k miles, you'd be doing a rotation every other oil change. Some people go purely by changing their oil at a set mileage 3k, 5k, 7500k, ..whatever it may be. (I'm not telling you to do one over another. Everyone has their own opinions). I'll look at my cabin air filter every other oil change or so and see how it looks. It's going to depend on where you drive, the season, etc as to how dirty it may be. It's a simple swap to put a clean one in.

diy on changing the filter -
http://www.9thcivic.com/forum/threads/honda-civic-cabin-air-filter-replacement.4793/

checking bake pads and other items just comes with tire rotations and stuff.

Back