CVT Whine?

This may just be me being paranoid having a new car and all, but I just wanted to get some feedback from some other owners. I am driving a 2014 Civic EX which is my first car to ever have a CVT transmission. Was never a huge fan of CVT's from the beginning like a lot of other driving enthusiasts, but it is what it is and I'm finally giving it a chance.

My question is this... is it normal to hear the "whine" noise where the RPM's just continue to rise and rise until you take your foot off the pedal? This is what I encounter EVERY time I accelerate. I have to take my foot off the gas and then after that its basic driving. I feel like this is normal for a CVT but then again, I'm not so sure. I thought there is supposed to be some form of shifting, but you just don't feel it.

Thanks in advance
Mike

I've not driven the cvt, but you can't feel the shifts at all?

From the time I had my old 2013 Accord Sport with the CVT tranny......your not "supposed" to feel a shift in a CVT. You might feel something when your really getting on the car or maybe on a downshift.

If this is your first CVT, like mine was to me, it is pretty weird at first since you think that car is stuck in 1st gear due to you not feeling or really hearing any shift changes. If you go through the gears and are able to see the rpm gauge, you would see that the rpms drop slightly even though there is no real audible change.

I had a jeep patriot for a company vehicle for about a year. It had the cvt. I did hear a faint whine in that especially when getting on it. Keep in mind a cvt doesn't technically have any gears. While some can simulate gears most will just let your motor rev up to redline and hold it there and then accelerate the vehicle using the transmission rather than the motor.

There are no gears in a CVT. It is all belt driven and operates off of pulleys. The concept is somewhat similar to a bicycle chain in that the length size of the pulley changes, but in a smooth transition. Kinda hard to explain. Here watch some videos.

Back