Different Clicking Sound

Tedecho

My 2014 si only has a little over 5,000 miles on it, yet there's already a couple annoying sounds. I searched for and found the cause of all but one. Almost every time I go into 2nd or 4th gear I get a clicking sound coming from inside the shifter box. It sounds like metal on metal and can be heard when going in and out of those gears. It's still super smooth shifting but it's annoying to hear all that clicking when I'm running through the gears. It is not the click/clunk others have reported coming from the pedal.

I know mine since after the first week has the plastic collar the holds the shift boot in place make a click noise during throws. Tapping it with your finger will duplicate the sound IF that's what your describing.
There is also a "click/clunk" similar to the clutch noise when shifting that i get from time to time, more so when i'm harder on the car and i'm attributing it to the lack of proper engine support via motor mounts.

I thought it might be the plastic collar but it seems to be coming from inside. I'm going to take it in Monday.

Inside as in "underneath" you (shifter) or in the trans? Anything feel loose when manipulating the shifter in anyway or any other odd actions during the time of the noise? Have you checked to see if there is anything the cables could be hitting while they flex a little in the engine compartment. Sounds can travel easily in cars. Also assuming your stock.
I've learned that these trans are very noisey but preform exceptional, just a characteristic i guess. I really think that the motor mount rubber compound and use of only 3 mounts (2 engine 1 trans) are a BIG cause for a lot of the noises plus low sound deadening material for weight reduction.
http://cms.skunk2.com/id/190/06-CIVIC-SI-SOLID-ENGINE-MOUNT-HOW-TO/4/
That is an extreme application but gives you an idea what happens on a stock engine even with the lack of proper engine support. I truly believe this because i can make all noises go away with easy clutch and smooth direct shifts when the motor or trans doesn't have to jolt. I find myself even using 1/2-1/3 clutch pedal travel to get smooth shifts.

It is stock. I'm pretty sure it's something just under the boot. Like something came loose or maybe a cushion of some sort came off? I've never heard it in any other manual I've had. Even my 8th gen that popped out of 3rd gear didn't make this sound.

Back