Does the spoiler do anything??

JonnyRotten

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
coupe
I read somewhere on Honda's website that the spoiler on the Si is functional.
Does anyone know if there is any proof of this? Has anyone done any testing on it? (webby:turbopokesmiley::rotfl:)
I was just driving around one day and the thought popped into my head (I call those random thoughts of the day. Happens all the time to me LOL)

From what I understand it's the front spoiler that comes into play at lower speeds(and up) , and the rear spoiler comes in at much higher speeds.

But with all the modern tech' put forth on saving gas, it could be helpful in that regard at lower speeds, but I'm not sure about this one.

I'm curious about at what speeds it all happens and what kind of down force is applied if any. I'm not expecting huge numbers but something is better than nothing.

I know that the small lip spoiler on the non-si models was integral to improving aerodynamics and mileage. Something to do with the way the air released off the car reducing drag. It's the same as the "vortex generators" on the roof of the evos.

Im sure the wing on the Si has some function along with looking good. Probably minimal downforce but drag reduction.

If you don't think a small wing makes a difference unless you are going over 100mph, stick your hand out the window at 55 and make a wing shape with your hand. Tilt it up and down and see if it isn't enough force to lift your arm. Or feel like it wants to rip it off if you put your hand flat against the wind!

So yeah a little wing the length of the trunk aimed properly will do something.

From what I've been told by the guys in product engineering the rear spoiler on the Si sedan will not generate downforce but its main function is to break the air off the car and reduce lift. If the rear spoiler wasn't there, at higher speeds the round area at the rear of the trunk would generate some lift because the air wouldn't "break off".

Back