Does this sound like a starter issue?

snahfu

My mechanic recommend me switching out my starter but just wanted to double check with you guys before I have to spend the money to fix it (money is tight right now)

-Car randomly wont start, usually in the mornings (once or twice every 2 weeks). Been happening for the last 5 months or so.
-Dash lights / radio / headlights/ fogs work, just no crank (no clicking noise either)
-When this happens, I just try to start the engine a second time and it works 100 percent of the time.
-I did a lot of crappy upgrades to my car (hid headlights, aftermarket fog lights, extra horn)
-I went to oreilys and the guy said my battery is good (1 year old) and the alternator is also good.

Starting to get paranoid that this will bite me in the *** if I dont fix it now. Does this sound like a starter issue or something more simple like a relay or bad ground.

My mechanic recommend me switching out my starter but just wanted to double check with you guys before I have to spend the money to fix it (money is tight right now)

-Car randomly wont start, usually in the mornings (once or twice every 2 weeks). Been happening for the last 5 months or so.
-Dash lights / radio / headlights/ fogs work, just no crank (no clicking noise either)
-When this happens, I just try to start the engine a second time and it works 100 percent of the time.
-I did a lot of crappy upgrades to my car (hid headlights, aftermarket fog lights, extra horn)
-I went to oreilys and the guy said my battery is good (1 year old) and the alternator is also good.

Starting to get paranoid that this will bite me in the *** if I dont fix it now. Does this sound like a starter issue or something more simple like a relay or bad ground.
What do you mean it starts the “second time”. My thought is parasitic withdrawal or an electrical connection that stays on after you turn off your car. Did any of the aftermarket accessories start the problem?

I experienced all of these and the start up the second time around and barely getting it to crank was luck while it lasted. Like you I was relying on that for 5 or so months and then all of a sudden nothing, no crank, no noise, just dead. I replaced my starter and it started up immediately. Note: While I was having issues the car would take longer than it initially should.

The starter was a pain to remove and install on our cars, not something I'd like to do again. Do yourself a favor and remove all connections to the starter when removing it and when you install it leave them off and connect them again after. Tight fit and a pain.

Back