Ever see this before ???

crookedlane66

I have a 2012 civic si full race. In prep for the 25hours of Thunderhill one of my "crew" deceided to move the front LED light bar from top of front bumper and move onto hood for better " light distribution" I was busy making a few changes to pass tech insp. didn,t reallt pay attention to the non necessary move. Later on when testing LED light we found it wasn,t working, which is strange as it had worked in original mounting place and being wired to the stock harness.The master and slave had been up-graded and a new exedy clutch, pressure place and cromoly flywheel had been installed by a pro shop. After six practice laps running at 8/10 ths approx 18 miles on the 3 mile course my driver called in said he had NO clutch. What ?? he came intyo cold pit and we started looking for problem. Figuring it could only be an act of God we put car in friends shop and pulled the clutch, Holy **** !!!! how can a flywheel try and weld itself to the crank ? very experienced race mechanics as well as my self have never seen this. Race is over before it has begun. We had taken battery and tray out to make clutch removal, and looking down on right side of motor I noticed the body to motor ground strap had been removed. WTF ???? helps exlain why the LED bar was not working. Afrter talking to many people we determined that because groung strap was removed, when running positive lead from starter was "looking" for a ground. It couldn,t find one so all current from alternator was being sent into crank ending at flywheel connection. Anyone have any thoughts on this ? You can see by photos end of crank and flywheel were being arc welded. img_1254[1].png

Attachments

• img_1256[1].jpg
    img_1256[1].jpg
    130 KB · Views: 11
  • img_1265[1].jpg
    img_1265[1].jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 11
That is some wild stuff. Sorry about the bad luck right before the race, but I guess you figured the problem out. The real question would be what happened to the ground strap?

My brother had a problem with his old Grand Cherokee where the grounding was bad and it would eat away at the rear differential. He kept replacing it and it turned out he was getting material removed from arcing from a bad ground.

I noticed the body to motor ground strap had been removed.
like it was completely missing, or it was hanging lose in the engine bay? Was the engine out in the past where someone forgot to hook it back up?

Back