Exterior damage in hawaii???

C 007

Sunny So. Cal
Vehicle Model
SI
Body Style
Coupe
Not sure if this is the right place, but What's up everyone. Have any or do any of you live(d) in Hawaii? I'm moving there in october and wanted to know how well the metals and finishes of our cars hold up to the location. Also, any tips on what to use or have done to get it ready for that area? Not sure if my 12 Si already has some sort of under coat since I purchased it new in Chicago. But my wifes 13 Fit was purchased here in CA, and we typically dont have too many rust issues here in CA, so I doubt anything came weather coated on hers. Any thoughts/opinions/gripes/general info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Keep it clean and keep it waxed/sealed. I'm not super familliar with what the salty sea air might do but the sun can certainly damage the finish over time. Lots of new easy to use sealants are available. Even just keeping it clean helps a lot.

Definitely consult hey_mikey for any long term stuff to watch for.

The interior takes a beating also. A good dash cleaner and protector is the 303 Aerospace Protectant. It has UV inhibitors to help prevent dash material from fading and cracking.

This stuff:
http://www.detailedimage.com/303-M2/Aerospace-Protectant-P12/16-oz-S1/

what island/town are you moving to? if you're living within a few miles of the ocean, your car will definitely get some salt exposure (usually from windblown ocean mist). generally, as long as you regularly wash your car, you shouldn't have any issues. most newer hondas do have even the underbody coated from the factory, but unless you drive through the salty ocean water (not likely), most of the salt ends up on the painted body panels and not under them.

like Nix said, just keep it clean and make sure it's waxed/sealed regularly and you'll be fine. before we moved to the mainland last year, i had a tacoma that i kept for over 10 years, and even though i'd take it off-roading and even crossed brackish water near a rivermouth before, i never had any issues with rust.

Reactions: Nix
Back