DIY fixing map light rattle

nat3d

Wait, I don't drive a civic anymore....
Adams MA
Vehicle Model
Ford Focus ST
Body Style
Hatch
so the one part of this car that i found to rattle so far at higher volumes is the map light covers. found it to be a very simple fix. just as a disclaimer you do this at your own risk neither myself nor 9thcivic are liable if you break anything.

what you need:

velcro with the adhesive back. i recommend buying it local because you want the type that has the soft felt like loop side.

scissors

a knife, trim tool, or small flat head screwdriver

first what you will do is remove the cover. in the first picture im pointing to where you can see the clips that hold the cover in place. youl want to avoid these as not to break them.
map1.sized.jpg

the second pic shows where i place the knife to pop it off without breaking anything
map2.sized.jpg

gently pop it out.

now that you have that off cut a small square piece of the loop side of the velcro (soft side not plastic side) peel off the backing and stick it to the bottom of the button that controls the light. (the white push button) as shown here
map3.sized.jpg

next cut two thin lengths of the velcro and apply it to the back side (facing windshield) and center of the cover as shown here. youl only want to do the center piece on one cover or else it wont fit back on (one facing the camera and side that contacts the other cover).

map4.sized.jpg

pop off the other cover and throw one more strip of velcro on that front edge and on the button and pop the covers back in. now you can crank the volume and actually enjoy the music.

any questions feel free to contact me :)

Back