Going e85

Kevv_Si

Indianapolis
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
FB6
I've done some research on e85 for n/a setups thanks to a link webby quoted and I got to say with nothing more I can really upgrade performance wise I will be buying some Deatschwerks new 550cc injectors to tune for e85. This seems like the only obvious thing to do since I am going super charged in the spring soo the rbc and zdx throttle body is something I'm not interested in or need. So with that said I wanted to see if anyone else here is tuned for e85 and if not why? I want everyones opinion on this and if it's really worth going for. Also if anyone knows of any damage running e85 can cause let me know!

The injectors mentioned in that thread- vit used them on the rbc. I'd ask him if they have others that can work on the stock setup.

The injectors mentioned in that thread- vit used them on the rbc. I'd ask him if they have others that can work on the stock setup.
Well the 550 deatschwerks has it on their site that it's compatible with stock manifold :think:

I didn't even look it up...just the info on vit's thread.

I didn't even look it up...just the info on vit's thread.
No worries man! my thing is the gains are kinda good for just switching over to e85. Hell for 315 you can buy a k&n sri and get like 3-4whp...that's really worthless imo.

Corn's a wonderful thing. Just sucks having to swap back and forth when the seasons change.

wrx and evo users run e85 in winter. The tuners just mention comments such as:

There is plenty of gas in E85 to get the car going, you must tune your cranking and warmup tables accordingly if you want OEM quality cold start.

Your "reputable" tuner does not have enough E85 experience. It will start just fine at 0 degrees. You should probably let it sit and idle for a bit before driving as they don't really drive well when cold. I have only started in as cold as 8 or 9 degrees but it fired up just fine. My friend however, I think he may have started his at close to 0 deg F.

There are two issues at play here. First, places with colder climates alter their mixture of E85 in the winter. A lot of places, this can be as low as 70% ethanol content. This added petroleum will case a richer engine mixture. Second, temperature changes affect load values and may cause the car to hit different fuel map locations than when tuning. That's not really a problem with the fuel. Rather it's a result of insufficient tune adaptability.

Fixed it, needed to enrich cranking fueling by about 3x. Starts up every time now.

maybe @VitViper can speak about e85 tuning on the civic for users who live in cold climates. Is there a simple tuning solution for the civics to run it in the winter?

Oh yeah, it's doable, just easier, in my opinion, to run pump in the winter. I ran dual maps when I owned my last DSM.
Ok soo winter is better pump, no problem my car will be garaged once the winter really starts here but I will do the swap and buy the injectors and tune with vit so that once spring rolls around BOOM e85 baby! Lol

Back