Guess who's getting a bottom end rebuild?

WhiteFG4

Arizona
Vehicle Model
Civic si
Body Style
Coupe
Yup, that's right. After a few "weekly oil consumption tests" I am finally getting my new pistons and piston rings and a few other parts, to my knowledge. I was told that the newly designed parts were not going to be available until oct, but today when I went in for my test, he told me parts arrived yesterday. I scheduled it for the first week of sept, since the master technician will be out all next week at a Honda learning seminar thing (what I was told??). Overall I'm not really stoked to have my engine rebuilt but at least there is some action being taken, rather than just brushing me off since I'm not above 1qt/1000 miles. (for the record I have gone through over 3qts in about 5000 miles though). Just thought I'd share my experience. I will update after the rebuild as well.

thanks for sharing the experience/info with us. As much as it probably sucks, be happy that they're doing the work to correct the issue. Others were reporting 1qt per 1k miles was "acceptable" at their shop, so who knows. Keep us posted with how it unfolds.

Sick if you can find any specific information out on what it is they are replacing in the bottom end that is actually faulty. Or was it just a casting/ manufacturing error ?

I asked if the new pistons were the same part number and my service tech said yes, but it was an updated design. I'll try to get a list of all the parts they plan on replacing. They think it's just the rings didn't get seated properly, from what I've been told.

Yup, that's right. After a few "weekly oil consumption tests" I am finally getting my new pistons and piston rings and a few other parts, to my knowledge. I was told that the newly designed parts were not going to be available until oct, but today when I went in for my test, he told me parts arrived yesterday. I scheduled it for the first week of sept, since the master technician will be out all next week at a Honda learning seminar thing (what I was told??). Overall I'm not really stoked to have my engine rebuilt but at least there is some action being taken, rather than just brushing me off since I'm not above 1qt/1000 miles. (for the record I have gone through over 3qts in about 5000 miles though). Just thought I'd share my experience. I will update after the rebuild as well.
Agree completely. I don't like tearing down new engines. But they'll do it right, I'm sure. And they're having their best guy (a master tech) working on it. Those guys go to school all the time now.... that's why they're "master" certified. But it scares the rest of us.... the fact that you even need it done. Dang.

Keep us posted, amigo!

Well after putting a little over a 1000 miles on my car since the pistons were replaced, I was glad to see oil pretty much at the full line. It seems to be pretty peppy as well. And they didn't say one word about my exhaust components, so that was relieving. Overall it seems to have fixed the issue I was having with oil consumption.

im a tech at honda and just did same job on an 08 accord,was using 1.5 quarts per 1000 miles.old pistons were fine its the oil control rings that were completly sludged up.car had 78,000 miles on it,im thinking to infrequent oil changes and poor gas ,as well as needing a ecu reflash all contributed to the problem.cyl bores looked perfect as well as rod bearings,you could still see factory crosshatch on the bores,all i can say is change your oil frequently,use good quality gas and you should be ok,also make sure your ecu has the latest update from honda.car runs like a dream now,and damn its alot of work to do with the engine still in the car!!! pays 13.2 warranty time and thats about what it took to do the job properly!!

Did u have to fight with Honda for them to replace the engine internals, or were they the ones who suggested it?

I am about to purchase a SI for my girlfriend and after a couple of months trying to convince her on something else we are going this weekend to look at 3 more, and coming home with one... I'm in a panic mode now and jumped back on here trying to learn everything I can about this engine oil issue..

I for one change my oil every 3k I don't care what the oil brand says, or how much extra money it costs me a year on changing it every 3k when people say its good for 5k... Gives me peace of mind

If u could tell me how hard it was to convince them to change the internals I'd greatly appreciate it

Did u have to fight with Honda for them to replace the engine internals, or were they the ones who suggested it?

I am about to purchase a SI for my girlfriend and after a couple of months trying to convince her on something else we are going this weekend to look at 3 more, and coming home with one... I'm in a panic mode now and jumped back on here trying to learn everything I can about this engine oil issue..

I for one change my oil every 3k I don't care what the oil brand says, or how much extra money it costs me a year on changing it every 3k when people say its good for 5k... Gives me peace of mind

If u could tell me how hard it was to convince them to change the internals I'd greatly appreciate it
The TSB is for a specific range of VIN numbers. I just purchased mine in October and it does not come close to falling in this range. If you are purchasing new you should not have a problem, but as a precaution, you can take a copy of the VIN range with you and double-check it. Most likely Honda identified the problem and implemented a fix during production and waited to do a comparison of service related issues before they even sent a TSB out.

This Service Bulletin Applies To:

2012 Civic Si 2-Door : From VIN: 2HGFG4A...H700001 thru 2HGFG4A...H703398

2012 Civic Si 4-Door : From VIN: 2HGFB6E...H700001 thru 2HGFB6E...H703802

As far as your oil changes go, please do not change your oil every 3000 miles. It is a serious waste of money and natural resources.

As far as your oil changes go, please do not change your oil every 3000 miles. It is a serious waste of money and natural resources.

I always contact my dealer to change the oil in my car at about the 15% mark on the oil life indicator. This tends to be about 7000+ miles for me. The only time I ever changed it sooner, was after running it very hard for several days in spirited driving conditions.

california has just launched a program to get motorists to stop doing 3k interval oil changes due to waste (unless your car explicitly requires it)
http://why.knovel.com/all-engineering-news/1289-advances-in-car-and-oil-engineering-make-frequent-oil-changes-unnecessary-california-study-finds.html

oil change analysis on previous SI models -

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2039741
here is an 05 civic si with a 10k mile interval change on penzoil platinum.

another 10k mile interval
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1710108
penzoil platinum

Mobil 1 5w20 9300 miles Honda Civic Si K20A3
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=818480&fpart=1

0w-20 - 02 Honda Civic Si K20A3, 10k miles
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=240214&page=1

Back