Hello Everyone...I Have A Question About The 8th Gen Si Exhaust On The 9th Non Si

1BLH

I hope all of you are doing well. I own a 2014 Civic EX and want to put a 8th gen Si axle back on my car. I want to clarify a few things. I have read 1. once the axle back is purchased, the rubber mounting hanger will need to be flipped to lower the exhaust a bit 2. The springs and bolt that attach the axle back to the exhaust may not attach securely, and may need washers to stop any rattling from the spring....My question is...can the spring and bolt be purchased from the 8th gen Si, to remedy the use of washers on the existing springs and bolts that come on the 9th gen non-Si. I want to install this as clean as possible. 3. I have read it is advisable to purchase the exhaust gasket made for the 8th gen Si exhaust. I have tried to research as much as I can..but can someone tell me if I am accurate in what i'm thinking. I appreciate all help.

Congrats on the first post! PS this ain't instagram or facebook. Being a frequent user will get you more help than you will know what to do with. We aren't jerks or post whore/pic whore peeps like either of those two outlets. You will find real car enthusiasts here. Want help? Be part of the community. Don't just post with demands.

1) Let me be first average forum jerk: Use search button.

2) make friendly intro post

3) yea, I have all your answers.

First off, welcome to the forum and congrats on the new car! I hope you really like it. Let us know your impressions of the new car as there aren't a lot of '14 owners yet. How's the interior and the new tech updates? What do you think of the transmission so far?

Your #s answered:

1) Once axle back is purchased, no nothing to do with hanger, you should bend the metal prongs called "tangs" to get perfect fitment. They are meant to be bent a little bit.

2) Yaaap. They attach super securely. To the point that the threads top out and you cant tighten down the spring. Just a couple washers may be needed. Just to space out the spring so it doesn't rattle. The bolts are tight. You don't want to top out the bolts and keep going. The gaps are to allow for expansion since this is a part that is subject to extreme temperature variations and thermal stress.

2.5) NO. Just spend the 0.30 cents at Home Depot or Lowes. Lots of non-si people have tried this. It has to do with the difference in length of the midpipe and the gasket not being a perfect fit. Waste of money on new bolts. I have done this to two different cars already. The washers fit and work the best. It is the cleanest way to do it.

3) Yes. Purchase the 8th gen si gasket. It won't fit perfect but by "jamming" it a little bit you won't have any leaks. It's not OEM perfect but it works perfect. You can certainly reuse your gasket and probably be fine. I'd honestly try that first. The 8th gen Si gasket will just seal really nice to the muffler section itself.

3.5) Use your 9th gen rubber hanger to connect the "tangs" on your 8th gen muffler to the hanger "tang" on your 9th gen. There is a 90 degree difference in the hanger direction from 8th to 9th gen I believe.

@nat3d has done this. He is probably an expert on anything I have missed.

yeah @Nix as always you hit the nail on the head. you will want to grab the washers to stop any rattles the spring bolts i have are from the 8th gen that the axleback came off of and at first it still rattled a little bit. also make sure you bend the hangers as it does sit too high and will melt your bumper as i found out the hard way :/.

I really appreciate the help guys. Do either one of you happen to remember the size of the washers and or how many were needed? I look forward to being a part of the 9th civic community. Let me say this as well...I did search 9thgencivic and this forum as well for the answers to my questions...but again..I just wanted that extra clarity. I work for Honda as a service writer..I own a 2013 Accord (wife's car) username 1kdh on driveaccord.net, and just traded a 2012 Oddysey not to long ago..username 1stvan on odyclub.. I am usually fairly active posting on forums but have been busy lately. Again thanks for all the help.

No worries man, I just see a lot of FB/IG type single posts about flush wheels and cheap coilovers.

I got away with 2 washers on each spring bolt. I believe they are 5/8" but you can also stretch the spring out as well. I'd take a bolt with you to home depot as I just don't remember 100%. Try and get the "normal" sized ones that look like the diameter of nickels or the size of the spring if you have it with you.

Service writer eh? Looks like you should be able to find yourself an 8th gen axle back pretty easy then. Consider the 8th gen HFP axle back if you want a little more sound and you can get it for a decent price.

I picked up mine from a dealer for $100 brand new. I think it was a take-off but eh, new is new box or not.

PB Blaster. Bolts will probably be biatches.

feel free to start a build man just follow the link in my sig also introduce yourself here

I got a 8th gen si axle back coming from coupe, would it fit into my 9th gen sedan (non-si).
i believe its all the same. mine came from a sedan and i drive a coupe

The axle-back are the same on coupes/sedans. The mid pipes are what varies in length. So the axleback will fit.

Back