Help wiring an android head unit to 15 Si with premium audio

fabian

Hey guys so I am looking to buy an android head unit from china because the stock unit seems outdated in terms of functionality and features. The head unit is plug and play for the 9th gen civic without premium audio. I was looking at the pinout thread and got confused at a lot of the pins. Maybe someone here can help. I have not bought the unit yet because I am unsure if I will be able to make it work. I would like to keep as much as stock as possible and not looking to spend a lot of money on buying an aftermarket amp. I am fine with the current audio quality but want a unit with more features. the unit I am looking at is the Teyes CC2. The seller says it won't fit because they don't have a harness for my car. from what I see premium audio has the same harness as the nonpremium just some extra harnesses.

looking at the pinouts from connector A, some of the wording is different. For example, nonpremium audio words some of the descriptions as "Outputs sound signal for left rear speaker" while the premium audio words it as "Outputs sound signal for left rear speaker." Are both the same thing just worded differently?

There are also unused pins on the nonpremium that are used on the premium that says "Shield for Terminals No. 5 and No. 6" What are those and where do those go to the head unit?

Basically I want to know how simple it would be to make it work. Like I have seen some videos for older civics with premium audio where most of it was plug and play and they just had to tap into one of the unused harnesses to send power to the amp. Is that what I am looking at or will it not work for the OEM amp?

Eventually, I would like to wire the OEM reverse camera to work with the unit and maybe even the lane watch camera too but wouldn't be a deal-breaker if I didn't do that. I just don't want to spend the $300 on the unit if it's too much of a headache to get the basic stuff working.

Any help or input is appreciated.

Here is a link to the unit Teyes CC2 Android Head Unit

basically every person I've seen post about the chinese headunits is they cannot get help from the people selling them. They have issues getting steering wheel control functionality to work, bluetooth streaming, or some other problem. I don't know that I've seen one person actually have everything "work" 100% functionality wise. Take it for what it is, but if you're wanting to retain all functionality you currently have, I would not swap head units with one of the cheap chinese ones you see on amazon/ebay etc. You also have premium audio, meaning all of your wiring goes to your amp to feed your speakers. The signal going to the factory amp from the oem head unit uses balanced differential inputs and there are a limited number of aftermarket amps that even accept differential balanced signals.

Well, at least the seller of the unit I am looking at was honest in saying it wouldn't work. One guy on a FB group installed it on his 2013 civic without premium audio and I think he was having issues with the steering wheel control and Bluetooth pausing when in reverse but I think that's all with in the settings.

I am not looking to change the amp if possible. I looked into how much they are and I am not spending $700 for an amp. I would like to keep the OEM amp as I am not looking to improve sound quality really but rather add functionality with the new head unit. By functionality I mean navigation, google assistant, android auto, etc.

From what I see from the pinouts is that connector A is somewhat identical with the exception of wire colors and a few extra wires added for the premium audio
Connectors B, C, and D are identical for premium and nonpremium.
Connector E is for the sub so I would have to manually wire the wires from the head unit to that connector.
Connectors F and G are for the OEM USB and will not be used since the nonpremium doesn't have USB ports.
Connector H not too sure what it is for but looks like HDMI which the nonpremium doesn't have so that might not be used either.
Connector J seems to be for the Lane watch and rearview cameras. that's what I would look into more later on if I want to try and use the factory cameras.
Connector K is for GPS which I don't have Navigation.

So my plan is to do a non-destructive install so no cutting wires. What I was thinking of doing is crimping a terminal to the end of the wire coming from the head unit and sticking the proper terminal size into the vehicle connector to the corresponding pin. So, for example, get the sub wires from the aftermarket head unit and attach a pin to the ends of it and plug those pins to connector E Pins 5 and 7 instead of cutting wires.

One thing that is throwing me off is the ones that say "Shield For terminal No." what is that?

I was referring to this picture in the other thread I linked. You can follow the wires to the pinout in the other radio harness. I realize this isn’t for your radio, but seeing as how “shield“ pin outs are in the other radio as well, I’d say it deals with the amp

upload_2020-8-30_19-43-23.png

Look like that wire just twists around both positive and negative wires to prevent noise interference. Seeing some youtube videos and reading the comments it says shield wires are only grounded at one side but then google search says you could ground both sides lol. Im assuming since its pinned to both connector then it is grounded on both sides.

So I found on another forum *************** someone said they wired and aftermarket head unit to their premium audio civic and he said it was too loud even on the lowest volume. I might run into the same thing because the aftermarket unit says it has a built-in ROHM32107 DSP Chip and a TDA7851 Power Amplifier chip. That means it would amplify it through the unit once and a second time through the factory amplifier right? If I was to have that problem would it be necessary to bypass the factory amp or would it be possible to limit the voltage coming to the factory amp to make it be not so loud?

that’s why I was saying you really need one made for the premium (if any of the cheap Chinese units at all). No clue how you’d get around cutting the signal.

that’s why I was saying you really need one made for the premium (if any of the cheap Chinese units at all). No clue how you’d get around cutting the signal.

There's a guy on another forum that used to make a harness to bypass the factory amp. I messaged him but I doubt he's been online for a while. You could also bypass it by running a wire to the output connector (the wire after the amp that leads directly to the speakers.

Attachments

• 20141018_182059.jpg
    20141018_182059.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 7
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Acura-Factory-Amp-Bypass-/162475749705

He makes those harnesses to allow you to bypass the stock amp and use an aftermarket amp that accepts balanced differential inputs. It’s to use aftermarket amps. That’s his ebay store. See the description.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eB...8&pm=1&ds=0&t=1580443695000&ver=0&cspheader=1

Well even if you out an after market amp. The output connector won't fit the aftermarket ap so you would need to splice into the factory speaker wires. Or run new wires to the speaker. In reality the head unit is universal they just include a harness for the non premium civics and the dash kit for it.

Back