Hiya Civic ladies and gents!

Brandon SR

Lancaster, PA
Vehicle Model
Civic SI
Body Style
Sedan
So, just signed up on the forums, but have been stalking around for weeks now. In the market to purchase a Civic SI sedan soon so I figured I'd stop by. First question, and yes I've searched high and low, but wanted some opinions about the 2012 vs 2013 model. I have a great deal on a 2012 that I'm 90% sure I'll be cashing in on, but is the 2013 worth the extra cash? Haven't checked one out in person, but I have no problems with the styling of the 2012. Is the aftermarket place changing to all 2013+ years, because that could be a deal breaker.

Thanks for any info, and I'd like to commend your forums for having an awesome group I can't wait to be a part of! So many other specific forums can be nasty, seen non of that here!

Brandon

Last edited:
I don't have a 9th civic so I can't really comment on the quality, etc...but I'd like to welcome you to the forum!
Always feel free to ask us questions! We're all friendly and here to help!

Welcome Brandon!
As far as your question, the engine is exactly the same and the suspension is a little tweaked but the 2012 aftermarket suspension parts will fit the 13. The headlights are the same, so lighting mods are the same between 12 &13 too.
Can't wait to see your new ride!
Personally, I like the 12 styling better, but that's a personal preference.

As far as what dar-dar didn't cover on differences goes, sit in both to see if you feel one way or another about the interior. Other than that, there is a difference in cabin noise. Test drive both and do another comparison.

Good luck! Can't wait to see your car.

Awesome guys, thanks for the warm welcome! I'll check out a 2013, but the price on the Almost brand new 2012 is hard to beat lol. I'll be sure to post pics when I get it in my hands.

beyond exterior changes on the 2013, there are a number of items listed here -
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/2013-honda-civic-unveiled-at-la-auto-show.6047/

^^^ It may be a long read, but I would read it in full. There are a lot of changes that can't be seen by the naked eye. New tech, new crash beams, suspension tweaks, upgraded dash, thicker glass, additional sound insulation etc.

I'd highly suggest driving a 2012 and a 2013 back to back. Or... at least sit in a 2013 non-si sedan if they don't have a 2013 si on hand. There are a number of users who are really upset over the changes, and others who are more than happy with their 2012.

Last edited:
oh, and pretty much everything in the aftermarket world carries over from the 2012 to the 2013. There are some changes to oem parts, so some honda accessory items will not fit, or plastic colors changed etc.

Welcome to the forum.

I recently switched from a '12 Si sedan to a '13 Si sedan. The difference in road noise and the quality of the interior are significant. Having said that, it would be worth it for you to see if the changes are worth the difference in price. For me they were worth the extra $30-$40 a month in payments. The price difference may not be worth it for everyone though. So, as others have said, drive both and make the decision. Both are awesome cars and really fun to drive.

I did read a lot about the road noise issue, and I noticed it on my test drive. But I wasn't honestly too turned off by it. Not nearly as loud as I was expecting after my research. Interior did look a bit "cheap" but I'll see if the 2013 is a step up for the cost. Thanks again all, great group here!

Welcome aboard! I have to say that if you're looking at the sedan.... I really think the 13's are very very sharp on the back end. Coupes I don't think changed much.

I test drove a 13 Si sedan and I can say that the interior and overall feel and finish of the cabin is definitely a big improvement...other then that, I like my 12 better in every way. The styling is always going to be a personal choice, but I think the 12 looks better. Not being biased either.. The 13 looks good, just not my style..

Either way welcome!

Again, appreciate the input! One other question since I'm at work and 80% of the web is blocked. The carfax is completely clean on the 2012 I'm interested in, but it's not pre own certified. What's the befenits I'd be missing out on that. Or should I be concerned that it's not certified?

Again, appreciate the input! One other question since I'm at work and 80% of the web is blocked. The carfax is completely clean on the 2012 I'm interested in, but it's not pre own certified. What's the befenits I'd be missing out on that. Or should I be concerned that it's not certified?

If the car is not that old and being sold by a Honda dealer, I would ask them why it is not Pre-Owned Certified.

Why you should choose a Honda Certified Used Car
Every Honda is a product of innovative engineering and quality manufacturing. And only well-maintained Honda models that are less than six years old and have a maximum of 80,000 miles are eligible for certification. The certification process includes:
  • A thorough 150-point mechanical and appearance inspection, performed by the dealer, to ensure that each vehicle meets Honda Certified Used Cars standards
  • Honda-trained technicians scrutinize all major vehicle systems, including brakes, engine, drivetrain, steering, suspension, tires, wheels, exhaust system and vehicle interior and exterior
  • Dealer technicians recondition any component that does not meet our standards
  • Any component that cannot be reconditioned is replaced with Genuine Honda parts
  • A limited warranty that covers engine and transmission components for up to 7 years/100,000 miles[1]

I would also look at the vin to see if it falls into the service bulletin for potentially needing the pistons & rings replaced.
===
TSB -
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/excessive-engine-oil-consumption.6451/
Excessive Engine Oil Consumption

SYMPTOM
The engine oil level is low on the dipstick, and the low oil pressure indicator may come on.

VEHICLES AFFECTED
2012 Civic Si 2-Door
From VIN 2HGFG4A...H700001 thru 2HGFG4A...H703398
2012 Civic Si 4-Door
From VIN 2HGFB6E...H700001 thru 2HGFB6E...H703802

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Replace all the engine pistons and the piston rings.

Warranty

Thanks to one of the most extensive used-car warranties in the business,
every Honda Certified Used Car comes with peace of mind.
It covers major engine and transmission components, except for standard maintenance items, body glass and interior. Honda will repair or replace any covered part that is defective in material or workmanship under normal use. There is a $0 deductible and the following major systems/components are covered:
Powertrain Coverage
The Honda Certified Used Cars Limited Warranty extends the powertrain coverage to 7 years*/100,000 total odometer miles (whichever occurs first).
tems Covered
Covered for seven years* or 100,000 total odometer miles (whichever occurs first) from the vehicle's original in-service date.
  • Engine
  • Drive System
  • Transmission
Non-Powertrain Coverage - Within New Car Warranty
The Honda Certified Used Cars Limited Warranty extends the non-powertrain coverage by 1 year/12,000 miles to 4 years*/48,000 miles† (whichever occurs first).
Items Covered
New Car Warranty coverage extended to 4* years or 48,000 miles† (whichever occurs first).
  • Steering
  • Suspension
  • Electrical
  • Air Conditioning
  • Heating and Cooling
  • Fuel System
  • Switches
  • Audio Repairs (Honda audio systems only)
  • Sensors

Last edited:
The car is actually at a Toyota/Scion dealer, guess there is no way to get it Certified since it's not at a Honda station. I checked the VIN, ends in H705509, so that looks to be OK. Would really love to have it Cert though, maybe my hunt will continue.

Back