Honda confirms NSX development has restarted

Automotive News reports that the long-dead NSX is back under development after its spiritual successor was sent to the round file in 2008. We've heard an increasing chorus of rumors that the project has been taken off the shelf, but this is the first time we can recall reading direct quotes from higher-ups within Hondaconfirming its existence. Takanobu Ito, Honda's President, reportedly disclosed that his company is currently working on a successor that will be both entertaining to drive and efficient, which likely means buyers can expect to be met with a hybrid drivetrain when the supercar launches. When will that be? Ito didn't give specific details on when the new-generation NSX will land, though he did say that the racer will be the brawnier bigger brother of the company's CR-Z hybrid.

That means that we can kiss the luscious V10 mounted in the old HSV-010 goodbye. That vehicle was intended to be the most recent take on the NSX, but was scrapped after the auto market at large began circling the drain back in 2008. While fans of the Japanese supercar were up in arms over the fact that the HSV-010 abandoned the mid-engine, rear-wheel-drive finesse of the original NSX for an all-wheel drive platform, we have to imagine many NSX loyalists might not have kind words for a hybridized version of the bruiser.

:pout: :mad:

i miss the HSV-010 -- loved that video of it lapping the Suzuka or Twin Ring Motegi track awhile back on YouTube. looks and sounds SO legit.

wish Honda would come back into the world of F1. i cannot stand watching IRL w/ those paltry sounding motors. i <3 Honda but i hate the fact that every single engine in the series is the same and sounds just awful IMO.

i want to see the HSV-010 hit the JGTC or other racing series'... NOW! :(

i miss the HSV-010 -- loved that video of it lapping the Suzuka or Twin Ring Motegi track awhile back on YouTube. looks and sounds SO legit.

wish Honda would come back into the world of F1. i cannot stand watching IRL w/ those paltry sounding motors. i <3 Honda but i hate the fact that every single engine in the series is the same and sounds just awful IMO.

One word: Go-karts.

:popcorn:

even tho they plan to bring this car back... sadly they're not bringing it back with that screaming V10 that was in the test mule going around Nurburgring :sadwavey:

If the potential NSX-replacement enters production as a hybrid, Ito can just kiss my ***, and that's putting it politely.

What do you miss about the HSV-010, Joey? :scratches:

JGTC no longer exists. The series was restructured and transformed into a new series called SuperGT mainly to incorporate international racing instead of making it an exclusively JDM event. The HSV-010 is now in its second season after Weider Racing won both driver and manufacturer championships last year (hence my avatar).
:popcorn:

even tho they plan to bring this car back... sadly they're not bringing it back with that screaming V10 that was in the test mule going around Nurburgring :sadwavey:

I don't know why there's all this craze over the V10 that was in the prototype. The HR10EG was good enough to enable Weider to win both championships last year, and it's a 3.4 V8 that makes 500+ bhp and most likely revs higher. :shrugs:

I don't know why there's all this craze over the V10 that was in the prototype. The HR10EG was good enough to enable Weider to win both championships last year, and it's a 3.4 V8 that makes 500+ bhp and most likely revs higher. :shrugs:
don't quote me on the exact number but that engine revs to 12k or so... also rules limit the engine output to 500hp... the V10 had a 10k on the dash which means it revs to at least 9k... i can't think of another production vehicle that revs to 9k on the street aside from LF-A... i'm sure there's more but just my basic knowledge... so i'd be quite happy with the rumored 4.5L 550hp V10 with cylinder deactivation (VCM) that allowed it to run on 5 cylinders... and another thing i'd like to think of why go with a V8 when they have such an amazing V10 already produced?? that would be major Honda bragging rights just in its production form... in other words, V8's are everywhere... but a very efficient V10, few and far between, if at all...

Back