Honda Killing CR-Z Hybrid In North America

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
After Six Plus Years In Production, Honda Pulling CR-Z From North America Due To Slow Sales

b6bn6nl.jpg

The CR-Z lacked a direct competitor and tried its luck on a niche segment by attempting to be both agile and fuel-efficient, but it was eventually surpassed by regular compact cars in both chapters.

Honda Performance Development tried its luck in making it more appealing with a supercharger kit that delivered an extra punch, which was limited to version equipped with a six-speed manual transmission. This didn’t do the trick and neither did the cosmetically updated version, introduced last November, with its added features, options and fresh trim grade.

In fact, by looking at the sales figures, it's easy to understand that the CR-Z could have never become a best-seller, as the automaker delivered 5,249 units in North America in 2010. The number reached a peak one year later, with 11,330 examples, only to drop in 2012 to 4,192. In 2013, 4,550 cars found new homes and in 2014, just 3,500 units were sold. The decline continued last year, when Honda moved 3,073 vehicles and as of May this year, the CR-Z accounted for a paltry 970 units.

In Japan, Honda has already waved goodbye to the CR-Z with the Alpha Final Label Special Edition that launched last month, which added new colors, different wheels, special badges and a few interior upgrades.

Not fuel efficient enough.. Especially when the 9th gen coupe posts better numbers

This is going to be one of those cars that you'll see all over "enthusiast" car sites in like 10 years proclaiming how great it was and we were all dumb for not buying one.

I wanted to like it. I really did but it was bad on mileage and performance. I thought it looked great though.

I'm with nix on this one. I also wanted it to be a modern day crx with a twist, but it just didn't stack up. I also got excited when the idea of a possible gas only powered version was hinted at like Nomar was saying. Guess we'll just have to see if they try to revive the beat and bring it stateside...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

If they redesigned it to have a diluted version of the NSX's power train this car could've been saved.

I have one as a daily driver. It's the right car for me and it's pretty okay on small, technical road courses. The car isn't for everyone, but if you read reviews outside the US, it's a pretty well liked car. Americans are just way too focused on numbers instead of a car's balance.

Should have dropped a K20 and 6spd in it from the get go....

That was not a viable option because the K20 was not up to emissions standards by that point. It's why we have what's essentially a modular K24. Honda North America asked for a K in the car, but headquarters in Japan said no, which is why HPD developed a supercharger that could be installed, financed, and warrantied through the dealer.

I'll have to dig for it, but there's a video of an Honda employee doing a ride along with a reviewer explaining what I just laid out in the previous paragraph.

The biggest problem was trying to re-create the extremely popular Civic CRX in the 80s, but they botched it with an over-priced hybrid that resulted in lackluster fuel efficiency compared to current vehicles on the road, and the original CRX that it tried to re-create. The CRX-HF model achieved 50+MPG with regular gasoline! Honda could have easily done that with a current gasoline-only model tuned for maximum efficiency, and a much lower price tag. Then they would have had a popular vehicle. It was a pretty cool looking car, but Honda blew it.

The biggest problem was trying to re-create the extremely popular Civic CRX in the 80s, but they botched it with an over-priced hybrid that resulted in lackluster fuel efficiency compared to current vehicles on the road, and the original CRX that it tried to re-create. The CRX-HF model achieved 50+MPG with regular gasoline! Honda could have easily done that with a current gasoline-only model tuned for maximum efficiency, and a much lower price tag. Then they would have had a popular vehicle. It was a pretty cool looking car, but Honda blew it.

Honda can't 'easily' make an NA 50+mpg engine anymore simply because of tighter emissions regulations. Emissions and MPGs have an inverse relationship. Modern cars are better for the environment but worse on gas than their 80s/90s counterparts

Honda can't 'easily' make an NA 50+mpg engine anymore simply because of tighter emissions regulations. Emissions and MPGs have an inverse relationship. Modern cars are better for the environment but worse on gas than their 80s/90s counterparts
The gasoline Civic achieves over 40 MPG now on the highway, and that is better MPG than the CR-Z.

weight... adding countless airbags and meeting 5 star crash ratings in all of the tests continues to add weight

Reactions: Nix
Back