How does the alternator work in a manual?

Loppysaurusrex

Sometimes I like to sit in my car and listen to music when I get somewhere or get home, I always run the engine at idle though because I don't want to burn the battery out.

BUT, from what I remember when starting a manual vehicle with a dead battery is that you have to pop it in gear while moving to jump start the battery, does this mean the alternator doesn't work unless you're in gear and that idling will cause battery consumption?

the alternator works when the engine is running, does not work when it is cranking. battery only cranks the engine over until the 4 bang cycle can sustain the engine. the engine can run for a while if you remove the battery. if you sit there and hold the key so it is always cranking you can see it cranks around 300 rpm or so but idling is at ~700 rpm

It's not causing battery loss if your car is on. The alternator is turning off the belt when the car is on....charging the battery.

The alt is belt driven with all of the other accessories. If the engine is running it is providing the current for the electrical system. You can technically disconnect the battery from a running vehicle and it will run until you **** it off though in modern cars this is not good for the electronics.

Back