How much power can one achieve with NA Engine?

yang xiong

As the title stated, this is a two part question even though its a single question.

How much power can one get out of basic bolt on before the internal upgrades and tune with aftermarket ecu?

How much power can one get out of both basic bolt AND internal upgrades AND aftermarket ECU?

Why I'm asking was that I was always a fan of stock turbo charge car, my first compact sport car was a Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. Love the car so much even during winter. But I wanted to try out the NA and see how much power I can gain without spending more than 3k to 5k out of pocket.

So any tips on power gain just on bolt on and after internal upgrades and ecu retune.

As the title stated, this is a two part question even though its a single question.

How much power can one get out of basic bolt on before the internal upgrades and tune with aftermarket ecu?

How much power can one get out of both basic bolt AND internal upgrades AND aftermarket ECU?

Why I'm asking was that I was always a fan of stock turbo charge car, my first compact sport car was a Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. Love the car so much even during winter. But I wanted to try out the NA and see how much power I can gain without spending more than 3k to 5k out of pocket.

So any tips on power gain just on bolt on and after internal upgrades and ecu retune.

Any bolt-on that will produce power requires a tune. Full bolt-ons will net you 220-230 whp.

Not really many options for internals yet. So, possibilities aren't known. Biggest roadblock right now is a lack of cams.

So even if I got turbo, I'm at a deadend road till I get cams for internal then. Just saying hypothetically.

So even if I got turbo, I'm at a deadend road till I get cams for internal then. Just saying hypothetically.

Car can produce up to 440whp without internal upgrades. Stock clutch can handle 300-350whp

well thats good to know then. But I would need a tune to get 400whp without internal upgrades then correct.

In order to increase power, a tune is required.

So check this out my build plan.

Greddy Header Exhaust
Greddy Exhaust System
Greddy or Apexi Cold Air Intake
Performance Spark Plugs and Wire
AEM Fuel Rail
at least 660cc injector
Hondata Ecu

Well this is a start probably run me about 2k atm.

What do you think.

So check this out my build plan.

Greddy Header Exhaust
Greddy Exhaust System
Greddy or Apexi Cold Air Intake
Performance Spark Plugs and Wire
AEM Fuel Rail
at least 660cc injector
Hondata Ecu

Well this is a start probably run me about 2k atm.

What do you think.

Fuel rail is unnecessary. Stock can handle 600+whp.
Wires unnecessary.
Plugs unnecessary unless you boost...then you need "colder" ones.
Injectors unnecessary unless you are boosted.
Any intake other than a 3.5" one will not produce power and may even result in a loss of power. You cannot run a 3.5" intake without a tune.
Make sure to get a 3" downpipe (9th gen does not have a traditional exhaust header) and 3" exhaust if you want to get the most power out of the car. The Greddy is only 2.76"

oh, so since 9th gen does not have a traditional exhaust header, then who makes a full exhaust system. I like Greddy Brand, I know they have a cat back exhaust system, if its only 2.76" wide then Im kinda loss where which I want to buy.

oh, so since 9th gen does not have a traditional exhaust header, then who makes a full exhaust system. I like Greddy Brand, I know they have a cat back exhaust system, if its only 2.76" wide then Im kinda loss where which I want to buy.

Full-Race or Ultimate Racing are generally the top two choices. I believe Junk2 Skunk two makes both the downpipe and exhaust as well.

Some good threads in here that list what is available: http://9thcivic.com/forum/forums/exhaust-downpipes.169/

Yea, squiggy is on it. You need a down pipe and exhaust. Most gains on these cars have been on the exhaust side. Get a large 3.5" intake with a large DP and a 3" exhaust. You will need flash pro and a tune. 220 at the wheels is pretty quick and should be a blast to drive with some proper tires and suspension.

From there if you went turbo the only parts you would not reuse would be the intake.

From there if you went turbo the only parts you would not reuse would be the intake.

Nor downpipe. If you go the supercharger route, you can keep the downpipe.

Reactions: Nix
Back