let's talk seats

Joe Liu

Bay Area, CA
Vehicle Model
LX/ FB2/ R18
Body Style
Sedan
so i don't know about you guys but i'm finding my gray interior more dull each day.

anyone have any suggestions on seats or some good fitted seat covers? i was looking at some black leather rsx bucket seats and found a pretty good deal, included rails. can anyone confirm the fitment? will there be any major wiring modifications i would need to do because to my understanding, our oem seats have sensors on them.

5I65L95E93Ee3La3H2c61216cb071979d14bc.jpg

Research I've done looks like all dc5 seats have side airbags. Not sure if you can determine the wiring plug style under the seat for the airbag? In theory, if the plug were the same they'd operate just like your oem side airbags.

How about 2012 Accord black fabric seats? They might fit.

I was actually thinking about doing this, except with SI seats, or other honda seats such as the s2k's seats? Didn't think about the RSX seats. Gotta do research on the s2k seats though, but in theory wouldn't SI seats bolt up to non si ones?

why not leather accord seats they have air bags in them that would be a straight swap over from the 06+ accords

probably gonna snag me a set of these

USED_DC5_Black_Recaro.jpg

Or these...

yhst-1408381693991_2080_17583367

Once a bracket solution gets figured out. Both DC5 RSX Recaro seats

^i've got the seats ready to go in -- just need brackets -- tempted to try 8thgen rails.... anyone tried that yet?

eesh... Aftermarket seats generally don't hold up well in crashes. On the previous gen civic taking out the OEM seats not only removed the side airbag that was built into the seat but if the system detected one airbag gone it disabled all of them leaving you with little protection. It is also a huuge liability if you are in a crash and your insurance finds out you had a disabled or removed safety system.

The seats don't have to go through the same testing that OEM seats do for impact and the mechanism that allows the recline is usually pretty weak. Also the "racing seats" generally need the harness bar or roll cage to prevent this from happening. First of all, the only safe place to mount a harness is to a bolted in roll bar or roll cage. Anywhere else, and it is likely to fail. 4 and 5 point harnesses decelerate your body instantly in a crash. This means that your body won’t move forward, but your head will. This will result in a debilitating or fatal neck injury, even in a low speed accident. . This is rectified with the use of a HANS. Don’t think you need a HANS? Ask Dale Earnhart about the HANS. Also, if you have a front airbag, you won’t reach it with a 4 or 5 point harness, rendering it useless.

This vid is of Bride seats, not recaros I know.

Also..... if you only put in the 4-point harnesses that are so popular... those wide green TAKATA straps seem to be a common choice... you no longer have a lap belt to hold you in the seat and you can submarine out the bottom and be ejected or smashed into the dash like a grape.

That said, yea I do like the look of the recaro/bride seats, yes I would like to put some in, but I think it too unsafe. I do like whoever had the idea to try and fit the accord seats.

That said, yea I do like the look of the recaro/bride seats, yes I would like to put some in, but I think it too unsafe. I do like whoever had the idea to try and fit the accord seats.
Most of the fancy Recaro seats are original equipment seats that come out of street legal production cars

I'm guessing that the aftermarket ones would just not have the airbag system...

Most of the fancy Recaro seats are original equipment seats that come out of street legal production cars

Yep. And most legit recaro/bride seats are $900-$1100 PER SEAT. But most people opt for the knock-off made in Taiwan $750 for a pair not realizing the difference.

Real seats = good
Most are not.

Also I could be wrong but the major sticking point is not that the new seat won't have a side airbag. It's that the system for airbag monitoring from Honda does not allow you to just remove one. The circuit disables all the other airbags as well.

5-point harness and roll bars should not be used unless you are wearing a helmet.
4-point is unsafe and you could be ejected/not held in place properly.

Im not against the aftermarket seats at all. I just think if you're gonna do it be aware of the safety compromise you might make.

Also..... if you only put in the 4-point harnesses that are so popular... those wide green TAKATA straps seem to be a common choice... you no longer have a lap belt to hold you in the seat and you can submarine out the bottom and be ejected or smashed into the dash like a grape.

If I were to do a seat swap, I would love to install a set of FR-S seats... they are comfy on long trips and also have a side airbag, if you can do some wiring and seat base fabrication, you could retain the side airbag, and all of the safety that was provided in the OEM seats.

* Disclaimer * Please understand that anything you do to defeat the factory safety systems can be very detrimental in a possible collision. In other words, if you don't understand the possible issues and can work around them, don't do it. Air bags can injure and or kill you. You could set off an air bag module with as little as a few volts. Sliding around on the seat in a dry climate can generate 50kv of static electricity... so please please don't fool with something you know nothing about.

Didn't I read somewhere on here that the 2012 Si seats are Recaro made?

The Acura ILX seats should be a direct bolt in with no mods, other than more wires for the 8 way power seat, and so on. The ILX leather shift knob looks nice too.

Back