Looking for Advice/Guidance on A/C problem

Michael Picciano

k2g 5p6
Vehicle Model
Civic EX
Body Style
Sedan
I have a 2013 4 door Civic sedan, with 1.8 litre naturally aspirated engine. This year I noticed the A/C not blowing as cold as in the past. I am looking, and hoping, to identify the possible problem, issue or cause so that it can be repaired. I am hoping for a DIY solution.

To date -

I have checked A/C fuse, relay, and operation of compressor clutch. All seem to work as they should.
Replaced relay with horn relay and noticed no difference. Replaced fuse no difference. Replaced cabin air filter no difference.
Clutch and pulley seem to work fine. With A/C in "off" position - pulley turns but compressor is not engaged. When A/C is "on" (with fan full on and temperature set to lowest setting) compressor is engaged and constantly "on". I did not notice the compressor cycling "on" and "off". This could be point to a possible problem and could be a red flag. I am not sure.

Checked refrigerant level. Purchased a RedTek R12a recharge kit and closely followed the instructions. With a/c "off" and refrigerant can attached to the low side, the gauge read "90" PSI and indicating (I think) no need for added refrigerant. Turned car "on" as instructed with recharging kit attached, opened can lever, set A/C to coldest setting and fan at full speed - gauge reading dropped to "25" PSI. With car still running gauge needle would bounce a little but never really moved upward. After 5 minutes I gave up. Gauge would not move to the desired range - 35 to 40 PSI.

Based on the above and before bringing the car to an A/C shop - is there anything else I can check or look for?
Your suggestions, observations and any guidance you can provide is welcome and greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Back