Maintenance question (engine air filter)

Matsweeper

New Jersey
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
Sedan
Quick question guys.

My car oil level is currently at 30% as per Maintenance Minder. I currently have 26,300 miles on my car.

The next change is supposed to be Oil Change, Oil Filter, Tire rotation and filters I think it's B12 (the MM code)

In either case, I purchased my OEM cabin air filter and OEM Engine filter. I was planning on changing them when I my oil which should be around 27,000-28,000 miles (15%-10%).

Today when i got to work I decided to take a look at my engine filter and it looked a bit dirty. Just wanted to if it's ok to wait until another 1,500 miles when I do the rest of the stuff or if this looks like it needs to be done now.

Thanks

Air filter.jpeg

I'd just throw the air filter in now. It's not going to hurt being in there, and you can just see how dirty it gets over the next 15k miles or so.

Quote"My car oil level is currently at 30% as per Maintenance Minder. I currently have 26,300 miles on my car."

This isn't directed "AT" you, but just an fyi for the general populist on here...... That 30% is not the level of the oil, but the rating of it's usefulness.

@Monk yeah I know. Sorry I was typing quickly here at work. I'm aware of the meaning. Thanks! = )
Yeh, I figured "you" knew the difference, from the rest of what you said..... I was just keeping it correct for all the peeps on here that might not know.........

Its looks like it still have life left it it. Compressed air some stuff out and reuse it. As crazy as it sounds, filters do become more efficient as it traps more things.

Its looks like it still have life left it it. Compressed air some stuff out and reuse it. As crazy as it sounds, filters do become more efficient as it traps more things.
Again..... for the uninformed, There's a balance between how much air flow vs. trapping unwanted contaminates. Paper works it's best on the cleaner side, where as gauze filter elements(like K&N) work better after it traps contaminates. The difference is the K&N let's too much though, so the contaminates aren't slowing down the air flow.
I'm not stalking your post, I just happen to like this subject......:D

Yeah I've read the K&N filter posts as well. For my needs, I'm not looking for sound/performance/reusable filter. I like the oem for its trapping abilities.

I will change my air filter this Sunday along with my cabin air. I already purchased them weeks ago. Man not sure if anyone else feels this but every time I change my oil, wash my car, add gas or anything, I feel like I'm caring for my car. It's a good feeling.

91cc93d7cb0b026574d3fe8342cda37b.jpg

Good find, the manual says you can change it around 15k depending on how dusty your condition may be. I will change it this Sunday and as recommended by the members check it after 15k miles. It might be that I may have to change it every 15k miles. I'm ok with that. I would like my car to last a long time and drive smooth!

Now I'm going to have to go check my cabin air filter. I have about 23k and I haven't peeked at it yet. Wonder how its going to look.

If your the one doing the maintenance on the car, then you can just keep track of what your doing and at what mileage. At the end of the day, it's your car and you can do what you want/feel like. Spending a little more money on maintenance items is never a bad thing, IMO.

I tend to replace the engine air filter one a year(12-15k miles interval for me) and replace the cabin air filter twice a year(regardless of mileage). Oil changes when the MM is at 15%, since that is when the dealership will do it for me for free(perk of buying a car from them). I rotate the tires as I see fit or every other oil change. Manual Trans fluid at 30k mile intervals.

change your cabin filter on your own, takes literally 2 minutes.....just to save you a couple bucks...also..replace that filter if you've already got the other one, keep your mpg's high with a nice flow of beautiful oxygen :)

I've changed both the engine and cabin air filters before the "suggested" interval. Both were well past due, about 20k miles.

Yeah, I think 20k should be good for my engine intake. I'll see how it looks at 15k and if it's still ok I'll go for 20k. As for cabin air I'll do the same however I feel like they may need to be replaced every 12-15k.

I was a big K&N user since the early 70's on all my cars and MC's(they do give me more air, and living a mile high I could use all the air I could get, but nothing is going to keep crap out like paper(in my book), also Denver is a dusty area). The dust also showed me how cheap/easy it is to just change liquids to get a better life for my vehicles. Anything that starts changing it's behavior that uses lubes, the 1st thing is fresh oils/fluids/etc., and screw the mileage........ I've had my automatic trans fluid changed twice before 30,000 miles.
But I'm planning on keeping my car for a long time so a few vested dollars in filters & fluids is worth it to me.

Back