My first Honda

Mephist0

Frisco, TX
Vehicle Model
2013 Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
Hi everyone. I'm new to the Honda scene and I just picked up a 2013 Civic Si Coupe as of yesterday. I'm no stranger to sport compacts having owned a 2005 Scion tC but I sold it in 2008 in favor of a minivan :sadface:. Now I'm back in a manual compact and being very disappointed with the 2nd gen tC (and unable to find an FR-S), I made the jump to a Si, my 1st Honda!

Wow this thing is fun to drive and very torquey for a Honda, guess I can thank the K24 for that. I doubt I'll be keeping it stock for long with a polished Injen short ram intake first on my list of mods, so I hope I'll be on here plenty.

UPDATE: Well just after 2 months, on 4/25 she hit 10,000 miles and she hasn't even had her first oil change yet (oil life at 20%)! Love this car.

Attachments

• WP_20130213_001.jpg
    WP_20130213_001.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 40
  • WP_20130425_001a.jpg
    WP_20130425_001a.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Nice ride and welcome to the site.

Thanks. The mudflaps, door edge guards and window tint were preinstalled by the dealership. Anyone else find the stereo to not produce much bass? I know the car comes stock with a subwoofer so if that's the case, I'm having the dealership take a look because I can't tell that the sub is even there.

The sub is located in the middle of the rear dashboard panel. Did you check your radio setting to see if the sub is on?

Didn't know there was an on/off setting. I've adjusted the output of the sub in the audio settings but if there's a killswitch somewhere, it must be off then.

No, there's no kill switch. The sub is only controlled by the radio.

Well I have an appointment with the dealership tomorrow anyway to pick up my all-weather mats and have them install the Lo-Jack so I'm gonna have them check it out because the sub should put out at least something.

Nice Si. Welcome to the site.

I don't have an issue with the bass in mine, but I guess it just depends on what you're used to. Have the dealer check if you have any doubts. That or check another Si at the dealer to see if it's the same.

Welcome! I am a first time Honda owner as well, and a very happy one :)

How come no FR-Ses available. I never get this hard to find marketing approach, long term it hurts their sales. I wanted to test drive the BRZ and they told me they sell them on pre-order, FR-S you could test it but need to schedule it and it was a 15 mins limited test drive. I like them a lot but they're 2 doors which was a deal breaker for me (gotta fit the kids in the back).

What about Miatas?

Need the rear seats for one car seat just incase my 5yo wants to tag along. :) They didn't have any 2013 Si Sedans anywhere within 50miles of my house but I'm pretty happy with the Coupe. As far as the BRZ/FR-S, none anywhere in the Dallas metroplex. You want to drive it? Order one and hope you like it. :P

As far as the bass, I'm used to at least something. I get mostly mids and treble. Comparing it to my 2011 Toyota Sienna Limited, it sucks. My Sienna has a factory JBL system with subwoofer and it's the best factory system I've heard. I listen to mostly hard rock/heavy metal like Linkin Park, Stone Sour and Slipknot and it just sounds lifeless in the Civic.

Last edited:
Need the rear seats for one car seat just incase my 5yo wants to tag along. :) They didn't have any 2013 Si Sedans anywhere within 50miles of my house but I'm pretty happy with the Coupe. As far as the BRZ/FR-S, none anywhere in the Dallas metroplex. You want to drive it? Order one and hope you like it. :P

As far as the bass, I'm used to at least something. I get mostly mids and treble. Comparing it to my 2011 Toyota Sienna Limited, it sucks. My Sienna has a factory JBL system with subwoofer and it's the best factory system I've heard. I listen to mostly hard rock/heavy metal like Linkin Park, Stone Sour and Slipknot and it just sounds lifeless in the Civic.

So it seems the Subaru arrogance is all over the place but meh what can i say.

Bass considered I am no expert in car audio but i am a hardcore audiophile for home audio and placement of a sub and room volume is very important. Sienna has a bigger interior volume and maybe the sub is properly placed and tuned for the car. Too small of a car i guess one needs a box to properly build the sound waves. Stock Si i did not see any sub boxes but i did not look for it too much, i use my radio once a week or less :-/

Welcome and congrats on the purchase!

You're not the only one who thinks the premium audio is weak. My GF has it in her EX, yet the sound quality in my LX is better.

So it seems the Subaru arrogance is all over the place but meh what can i say.

Bass considered I am no expert in car audio but i am a hardcore audiophile for home audio and placement of a sub and room volume is very important. Sienna has a bigger interior volume and maybe the sub is properly placed and tuned for the car. Too small of a car i guess one needs a box to properly build the sound waves. Stock Si i did not see any sub boxes but i did not look for it too much, i use my radio once a week or less :-/

It looks like it's dead center on the rear shelf. Haven't put my ear to it to see if it actual functions but I shouldn't need to. Even a poorly tuned subwoofer should produce some lows and I can't hear any. Another thread on here talked about stuff that went wrong when their windows were tinted and it got me thinking. My windows were tinted by the dealer before purchase and looking at the rear, it seems it would be awfully difficult to do a good tint job unless you removed the rear panel and possibly the speakers depending on how far they protrude. It's entirely possible that after the window tint was completed, the sub may not have been reconnected during reassembly. Either way the dealership will fix it one way or another.

Well the verdict is....it was working. :( It just sucks.

Well nothing I can't fix myself. A Crutchfield rep explained it's a 8" sub...time for more power. :D

Last edited:
Back