nite shade on tail lights in the winter?

Brooksie365

Worcester, Ma
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
just curious if any of you have ever sprayed your taillights in the winter? i dont want to screw it up because i cant wait to do it.
Should i make a diy on it or is that unnecessary?

found a great diy on the site..... still wondering about painting them in colder temps than the can says

Wait til it gets warmer. Paint is very thick when it's cold and it will not look smooth when sprayed. Thinner paint (ie warmer weather) makes better spray.

Will warm paint but cold plastic still make not make for bad paint job? I'm a little kid when it comes waiting

Will warm paint but cold plastic still make not make for bad paint job? I'm a little kid when it comes waiting

Yep. Material and surface need to be at the optimum temperatures, as the rate of solvent evaporation slows down in the cold. It may come out of the can nice if the can is hot, but the solvent will not evaporate quick enough, and will cause runs. Just wait.... it'll be better all around.

Wow sorry, I just got back to this...

Yeah, what Michael said.

Yep. Material and surface need to be at the optimum temperatures, as the rate of solvent evaporation slows down in the cold. It may come out of the can nice if the can is hot, but the solvent will not evaporate quick enough, and will cause runs. Just wait.... it'll be better all around.

Well It's to late. I took the lights inside warmed them up. Brought back outside and put I front of propane heater. Did 2 coats and let them dry inside over night. I had one run first pass but couldn't tell with second coat. Going to have to use carb cleaner to take it all off as they are to dark and redo with only one coat.

I think they look pretty damn boss like that. But you're right a little dark. Let me know how easy it was to remove

Online it says just use some carb cleaner. Will take stock shine off but going to cover it with a layer of vht and maybe a layer of clear for a little more darkness

I ended up taking these off had to wet send everything with 1000 grit took quite some time, then just wet sanded with 1500, 2000 and buffed good as new.

Screw Nite shade never using it again, going with clear coat and 1 to 2 drops of OEM paint to color match and you get a sick complete cover yet light passes right through

I ended up taking these off had to wet send everything with 1000 grit took quite some time, then just wet sanded with 1500, 2000 and buffed good as new.

Screw Nite shade never using it again, going with clear coat and 1 to 2 drops of OEM paint to color match and you get a sick complete cover yet light passes right through
Really I haven't ever heard that. I would like to see what that looks like. I like the looks of the nite shade personally

If I were going to tint tail lights, I would mix up some clear and add some black as 420 coupe mentioned. Of course, unless you really know what you are doing, this is a one-shot deal.

10 parts activated and reduced DC92 clear to 1 part D403 black is a bit too strong for me, probably somewhere around 15:1 would be what I would start with. 1 coat with the tinted clear on both, let flash, empty / clean up the gun and put 1 more coat of clear that hasn't been tinted.

Back