OEM headlight halogen/HID confusion!!!

TJ___90

Charlotte, NC
Vehicle Model
2012 CIVIC SI
Body Style
Coup
I went to Honda dealer asking about the headlights and he told me that they have 2 types. One for all models and the other one for the full option that comes with HID. The opining on the HID for the bulb or the harness from the bottom, I'm not sure or the guy at service. He told me to come at the morning to the shop so they can open a car and see what's going there. Also asked them about the harness for the parking and flashing same answer. Here is the parts list and you can see the HID converter on the right bottom.
IMG_20130806_003238.jpg IMG_20130806_003452.jpg

Last edited:
Ahh. I thought this was at a US dealer.

This kinda suggests that the projectors inside are the same between the halogen and the HID bulbs. They just have shitty output.

the ballast mounts from the bottom and the wire passes through to the bulb so that the electronics can be weather sealed. Its definitely not the same projector as the halogen models because oem hid bulbs are d2 or d4, and no halogen bulbs are made in that size, and the thing that goes on the end of the ballast is a d2 connector.

probably a projector similar to what a tsx has

the ballast mounts from the bottom and the wire passes through to the bulb so that the electronics can be weather sealed. Its definitely not the same projector as the halogen models because oem hid bulbs are d2 or d4, and no halogen bulbs are made in that size, and the thing that goes on the end of the ballast is a d2 connector.

probably a projector similar to what a tsx has

Here's the projector that comes out of the halogen headlights next to a projector that comes out of a 4th Gen TL with HIDs.

PdYYPA5.jpg

they look similar, probably both made by honda's usually projector manufacturer Stanley, but the bowls are definitely slightly different shapes, the shields have different contours, and the bulb sockets are different.

You can see the tabs cut in the one on the right to mount a 9006 or similar type bulb while the one on the left is a straight socket for a d2s bulb

so do you think if I get the HID one will have a different bulb with better output? And will I be able to mount it and everything will be good? I don't know much about headlights and HID =D

Because there is a different in price. The halogen around $250 and the HID $350

You can see the tabs cut in the one on the right to mount a 9006 or similar type bulb while the one on the left is a straight socket for a d2s bulb

The tabs in the back of the civic projector you see is just a mounting plate that's screwed on. The shields are pretty much identical, and the civic ones match the new Accords and the Toyota Avalons exactly, the Avalons are HID. The black lens holders and the lenses themselves are also interchangeable. The TSX projectors are totally different and wouldn't mount inside the housing. And if they were different, the HID headlight unit would have a different part number than the halogen one, here its the same.

The hid one is designed to handle a hid bulb, the light emission characteristics of a hid bulb vs a halogen bulb are not the same, even if you get a rebased hid bulb to a halogen base it is close but its impossible for it to be the same

this picture gives some idea the difference

hidvhalo.jpg

Because there is a different in price. The halogen around $250 and the HID $350

You can get the HID one, the difference in price is probably just the ballasts and the bulbs (and I'm unsure how the factory ballasts are wired up). The thing is, the output isn't gonna be TSX/S2000 quality.

The hid one is designed to handle a hid bulb, the light emission characteristics of a hid bulb vs a halogen bulb are not the same, even if you get a rebased hid bulb to a halogen base it is close but its impossible for it to be the same

this picture gives some idea the difference

hidvhalo.jpg

I understand the difference in light output between the bulbs. I'm saying that the projectors themselves are built for both.

The tabs in the back of the civic projector you see is just a mounting plate that's screwed on. The shields are pretty much identical, and the civic ones match the new Accords and the Toyota Avalons exactly, the Avalons are HID. The black lens holders and the lenses themselves are also interchangeable. The TSX projectors are totally different and wouldn't mount inside the housing. And if they were different, the HID headlight unit would have a different part number than the halogen one, here its the same.

pretty much does not mean identical. Were talking about light being directed and projected through a magnifying glass, that 1mm step in the cutoff turns into something like a 1ft tall cutoff step at distance.

mm differences in bowl shape and fillament/arc chamber placement can be the difference between this

img0644av.jpg

and this

P1010645.jpg

I have the UAE halogen waiting to be mounted. I think I'll get the HID set and try it out, if it worked I'll kick the UAE for $300 cause I got it from @jasonandri for $350. Looks like UAE charge more and the shipping cost is too height.

I understand the difference in light output between the bulbs. I'm saying that the projectors themselves are built for both.

im saying thats not possible because youre talking about two completely different light sources. The bowls may look really similar, but I promise you they are not identical. If they were you could get perfect light output throwing properly rebased hid bulbs in your halogen housing which we all know isnt possible

light output quality may be close, but there are different requirements for halogen lights than there are for hids, the upward light spill allowable in halogens to illuminate road signs would be blindingly bright in a hid application.

The lens holders may be interchangeable because the bowls are tweaked to have the same focal point, but the bowls are definitely different

pretty much does not mean identical. Were talking about light being directed and projected through a magnifying glass, that 1mm step in the cutoff turns into something like a 1ft tall cutoff step at distance.

mm differences in bowl shape and fillament/arc chamber placement can be the difference between this

img0644av.jpg

and this

P1010645.jpg

Pretty much means the steps are the same, the cutoff is the same. Both lenses are identical, the shield mounts in a slightly different spot due to its different shape. What you pictured looks like a bowl without the shield on it.

Here's the actual difference.

99m4uKj.jpg

Fqk8W9q.jpg

Back