Oil/Filter change w/ less than 3k miles?

Daryl

Brooklyn, NY
Vehicle Model
EX
Body Style
Sedan
Hey guys,

My last (HG Synthetic) oil change was in Nov '15 at the dealership. And now the Maintenance Minder is indicating that it's time for an oil/filter and tire rotation with less than 3,000 miles since the oil change. Is the MM timed? Or is it comprehensive and based on driving habits/conditions. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Daryl

It measures cold starts, rpms run, time, speed, etc. It has an algorithm that controls the percentage of oil percentage life left.

I do 5k oil changes and drive pretty aggressive but have never had it get below 40%. Sounds like someone didn't reset properly last time personally. If you know it was then I can't say I have an answer for you

+1 for it not being reset weird especially it was last done at a dealership. It does monitor driving habits and such are you all city driving? With me I do a lot of highway/freeway driving and average 10k before I need an oil change

When you had it done in November, what % was it at when you had it changed? Does it say you're at 15% currently?

Thanks everyone for responding.

I had 10-15% Oil Life just before I had my oil change and was reset after the fact.

80% of my driving is city (I live in NYC) and I do drive aggressively when necessary.

I chose synthetic thinking I could go longer between oil changes. Even though it's only been 4k miles; it has been about 7 months since my last oil change....

What is the total mileage on the car?

The maintenance minder and the oil life meter are separate but related things. You could have had an oil change at 28k miles and the oil life reset to 100% but then the minder come on at 30k because that is a preset mileage for other services, ex tire rotation, air filter, etc.

Just b/c the minder comes on does not mean an oil change. When you look in the maintenance menu there should be letters associated with the services needed.
As you can see in the attached link Honda's service interval for the oil filter is actually 15k miles so the oil and filter are on different intervals. While it is common practice to change the oil and filter together, that is not Honda's intended service schedule
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/SI9999/SI9999O00132A.pdf

Oil & Filter & Tire Rotation
i forgot to add - my last oil change was part of my 60k scheduled service.

since you are doing a lot of city driving, you may fall under 'severe service driving' which is a lot of stop and go driving, short trips, and excessive idling. this will cause you to change the oil sooner. I would say my fiance does about 70% hwy driving the maint. minder went off with 8k on the oil, oil was 4 months old. just a reference Amsoil Signature Series oil can go 25k but severe driving takes it down to 15k.

Back