Oil temp and pressure sending unit locations?

Chuckable

I've been looking into an aftermarket multi-gauge which would pull OBD-2 data as well as have inputs for oil pressure and temperature. There are several gauges on the market, but what has everyone done for sending units? I've seen threads about removing the factory "shroud" or "guard" around the oil filter housing with a die grinder or the like, but don't want to go that route.

Does anyone know where else to tap into the existing engine for oil pressure or temperature? I know we can run a tee off the existing OEM pressure switch, but some experienced users say that this puts excessive pressure on the tee and it may break off over time.

Plus, I believe the temp sensor needs a constant flow of oil, so don't even think a tee is a possibility for a temp sensor.

For those with experience, any recommendations?

Thanks, Webby, but I believe the 8th gen oil filter is in a different location, and has space for a sandwich plate (though it's tight). But the 9th gen filter location is different, and any sandwich plate would push the oil filter to below the oil pan level, which is not safe. I'm in for experienced user comment!

Webby and jrotax101, thanks for the input. As to the twist oil cube, do you think it'll work for a temp sensor when there's no oil flow? The Axion site is huge! I'm going to have to spend some time looking into it.

While it wouldn't be AS accurate as a sensor mid flow, it's going to be pretty accurate. A coolant temp sensor in a stagnant area would be a little more concerning.

Back