Pioneer Announces its First Set of Aftermarket CarPlay Systems

According to an email I sent pioneer it "will work with honda's additional screen" whatever that means. I assumed it was the Imid but maybe i assumed wrong.

I think I am going to as well.... Even if the Imid doesn't work for turn by turn or album art... I can keep it on the other screens and use the main head unit for those

So stereo controls seem easy enough. I'm more interested in factory Bluetooth controls being integrated.

I was reading that the datalink maestro rr will have this function but our car is not yet listed as compatible yet.

If you guys want any of the perferrals to work, just find the harness or make one for yourself. Ex, USB 2.0 are all the same when it comes to connection, its connected to the back of the iMid with 4 wires. Cut that and solder on a USB head and plug it in the back off the new HU. Same concept for the others. Waiting for a manufacturer to make a harness can sometime take forever or never comes.

I've done this myself by cutting the oem sub on my EX Coupe and making my own output from the oem HU.

Last edited:
I am very interested, the thing is i have a non-navi si model and this is the most promising head unit that will still offer full functionality with the steering wheel and iMid (with the datalink maestro rr)... which apparently isnt compatible yet.

Here's another update:

Pioneer Demos Apple's CarPlay Solution for Older Cars, Set to Release in a Few Weeks

CarPlay-Pioneer-Demo.png

With Pioneer currently set to update its existing NEX car infotainment systems with support for CarPlay in the coming weeks, the company has been offering advance hands-on previews of how Apple’s in-car system will work. The demonstrations with Pioneer NEX systems running CarPlay were provided to a few publications as the head unit maker builds hype for its forthcoming software update. In a new and sooner-than-expected release schedule the company revealed that CarPlay support will come to its NEX lineup in “a few weeks.”

Support will be coming to existing NEX infotainment systems from Pioneer in the form of a software update. Apple already launched CarPlay support in the iPhone with iOS 7.1 but head units compatible with CarPlay have yet to hit the market. With this week’s demonstrations and news of an impending launch, Pioneer appears to be poised to become the first on the market to offer CarPlay support.

Apple’s native apps for Phone, Music, Maps and Messages will all sport out-of-the-box compatibility via CarPlay. Apple has also added a “Now Playing” application for content while users will be able to get back to the NEX system’s main menu with a Pioneer created app button. CarPlay also boasts Siri support, allowing users to dictate text messages, get directions, and have information to read to them or initiate a phone call with Apple’s voice-driven personal assistant.

Impressions of CarPlay were generally positive, citing ease of use, safety and quality.

Once the update becomes available, users will be able to download a firmware file from Pioneer’s website and transfer it to a USB drive. From there, it can be plugged into the unit and the update can be installed. Pioneer announced its first aftermarket CarPlay systems last month, with the NEX lineup starting at $700 for the entry-level AVH-4000NEX. Cheaper options are scheduled to arrive later in the year from Alpine, which has said its CarPlay compatible units will be priced between $500 and $700.

CarPlay was officially announced by Apple at the Geneva Motor Show in April as a rebranding of the “iOS in the Car” functionality unveiled by the company at last year’s Worldwide Developers Conference. In addition to aftermarket units, CarPlay support will be built in to new select 2014 vehicles from Volvo, Honda, Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, Hyundai and Ferrari. Future partners include Ford, Chevrolet, BMW, Kia, Toyota, Nissan and Mitsubishi.

According to the installation manual of the 8000 model, nothing is mentioned about being compatible with Honda's CAN-BUS system for sending data to the i-MID display. The stereo is compatible for connecting external displays for watching video, but nothing about being compatible with factory displays.

According to the installation manual of the 8000 model, nothing is mentioned about being compatible with Honda's CAN-BUS system for sending data to the i-MID display. The stereo is compatible for connecting external displays for watching video, but nothing about being compatible with factory displays.
what about being compatible with our BT buttons and such? just to make everything work other then the imid

Back