Power coating and Tail light tinting

12CivicSI

Long Island New York
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
Sedan SI
I'm considering power coating my stock 2012 SI rims. Also smoking my tail lights

I was wondering anyone here would know of any places on long island that does it and does a good job and isn't overly expensive?

What would something like this cost generally to get done?

Thanks.

webby Yeah I am looking around, but I wanna make sure I find a place that's gonna do a really good job.

So I just wanted too see if anyone else has a place on long island they recommend.

Fifty a rim isn't bad,I'd live to find that price in Ga.

Fifty a rim isn't bad,I'd live to find that price in Ga.

The only quote's I've gotten so far was from one place, and they said 85-100 per rim. Ultimate Powder Coating is the name of the company.

If it's gonna cost me 100 per rim, I might as well just buy nice black 17 inch rims and sell the stock SI rim's.

Or keep them for winter use.

Last edited:
I know a powder coated in NE Ohio,problem is shipping would make it too high.im thinking about hfp 17 s and selling my si rims to offset the cost.

Sometimes the price depends on how much prep work they have to do first. If it's a nearly brand new wheel and they don't have to clean up any rust, sandblast, remove old paint & power it may be a bit less. Ask when you call them and let them know.

just saw a guy say he paid $45 a wheel because he did all the wheel prep.

What color are you looking to get? I'd recommend plasti-dip. It's available in a ton of colors, even metallics now, and they have a glossifier and pealizer overcoat if you want shiny. The nice thing with the plasti is that if you don't like it or want to sell the stuff peels right off. It's super durable too. I've been running it on my front lip for 2 years now and it's just starting to look "chipped." That's 2 NY salt, snow, slush winter beatings.

Edit: They have a smoke color available now too that is perfect for tail light tints. Again nice color and reverseable. If you get stopped by a cop, peel it off for court and redo it again later. It's like $8 can. Way cheaper than actual overlay tints.

Last edited:
As far as the rims, I've decided to just buy a set of black rims, and sell my SI rim's too offset most of the cost.

As far as the tail lights, I don't plan on going super dark, So I'm going to have my buddy who own's a body shop and racing shop, paint the tail lights(except the reverse/turn light cover)

I'll post pictures in the main forum when it's done :)

Thanks for all your input. Much Appericated.

Last edited:
I called my friend now and he told me he paid 45 a rim from the local guy I mentioned. I used him on both of my zx-7's which had extensive powder coating done so he will give me a deal. This price included plastic beading them and using a high gloss black. I'm thinking about going this route.

just saw a guy say he paid $45 a wheel because he did all the wheel prep.

As far as the wheel prep, I could do all that myself. At my buddies shop.

Plus my rims do not have any brake dust because I'm anal when it comes to cleaning the car, just not sure I can be without my car for 3-7 days the time needed to do the rims.

So I will most likely go down buying new rims, and depending on what I get offered for them, sell or keep the SI rims.

Last edited:
The only quote's I've gotten so far was from one place, and they said 85-100 per rim. Ultimate Powder Coating is the name of the company.

If it's gonna cost me 100 per rim, I might as well just buy nice black 17 inch rims and sell the stock SI rim's.

Or keep them for winter use.

Yeah its pretty pricey around here man, I got a quote from a pretty reputable place in Jersey City. $400 and it would be done in two days. Just have to bring the wheels in unmouted and cleaned already. Honestly for $400 I'll rather save them, sell my stockies and get some aftermarket wheels lol.

Back