Remote key housing

Tak

New York City
Vehicle Model
LX
Body Style
Sedan (FB2)
Hello guys,

What's a good way to replace the original key housing? Mine looks pale and one corner won't be able to completely seal. I am looking for a way to replace the housing. Unfortunately, I notice on ebay that a new housing comes with an uncut key, which is bonded to the housing permanently.

Can I get this uncut key with the new housing and ask Honda dealer to cut me a new one?

Thanks

Tak

You should be able to take the blank key and have Honda cut it and program the key as well.

I would call verify this and see what the price is. I believe its pretty pricy...

Reactions: Tak
Honda will cut keys, but as nomar said... it can be pricey. I've not seen a 2012 key, but it's likely the metal blade part is just held into the case with a small phillips screw. I'd imagine you could buy a replacement key, and literally swap the guts of yours and the original cut blade into a replacement case. It'd save you from paying to have a new one cut or programmed.

Reactions: Tak
You should be able to take the blank key and have Honda cut it and program the key as well.

I would call verify this and see what the price is. I believe its pretty pricy...

Thank you @Nomar06 . I will call honda dealer and find out.

Honda will cut keys, but as nomar said... it can be pricey. I've not seen a 2012 key, but it's likely the metal blade part is just held into the case with a small phillips screw. I'd imagine you could buy a replacement key, and literally swap the guts of yours and the original cut blade into a replacement case. It'd save you from paying to have a new one cut or programmed.

Thank you @webby
I was thinking about the same. However, I don't seem to be able to know how to take out the original blade out of the original housing.
Attach you see a sample picture. Can I remove the blade from the case? It seems it's permanently bonded. Do you have any instruction about this hack?

Thank you all

Attachments

• keycover.jpg
    keycover.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 8
@ethlar has had his keys apart on previous hondas. He may be able to chime in. I was thinking the blade was held by a philips at the base. I could be wrong.

I don't know about the 9th key in that style but the key for my 8th (which looks identical) was $168.00 for a cut and program from a Honda dealer. If i remember correctly the new key was $72.00 and the rest was labor.

yea the key blank is cast into the plastic of the remote shell, getting it out is possible but not pretty.

Call local locksmiths, many do have the equipment to cut and program automotive transponder keys. Last time i needed one done it was about ~25 dollars instead of 300 at the dealer

yea the key blank is cast into the plastic of the remote shell, getting it out is possible but not pretty.

Call local locksmiths, many do have the equipment to cut and program automotive transponder keys. Last time i needed one done it was about ~25 dollars instead of 300 at the dealer
Hi @ethlar

Thanks for this excellent information.
How about this?
Can I buy the new uncut key with the new case, put the transponder device from the original key to the new case, then ask local locksmith to cut the key only?
Would that work?
It seems to me that all we need is the exact shape of the key and the transponder device. Am I correct or wrong?

Thanks again,

yea the transponder should either be its own piece or on the board with the buttons, no reason you cant get the key physically cut and move the electronics

Back