Replacing Volume/Selector knob on 2012 Civic EX

Ed Wertz

I have a new-to-me 2012 Civic EX. The Volume/Selector knob does not function. The outer ring rotates and the center button pushes, but nothing happens. The radio works and some functions can be accessed via the steering wheel controls, but need to be able to access balance/fade and bass/treble. Can this control assembly be replaced or does the entire radio need to be replaced? Any chance that it might just be a loose connection? I located a schematic that showed a half dozen or so wiring bundles plugged into the back of this panel. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
View attachment 47653

Thanks, Webby. Yes, out of warranty. After a little more research, it appears that the best option might be to just replace with a used radio/CD unit. I have seen several online (eBay, Amazon, etc) for around $65.00. Have not been able to ascertain what differences, if any, there are between the LX and EX radio. Perhaps the basic radio itself is same, but the EX (which is what I have) has amp and extra speakers.

Attachments

• 20150530_154126.jpg
    20150530_154126.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
You will have to get the non premium model. They are different. The premium feeds the external amp with line level outputs and has no internal amp. Yours has an internal amp.

Just wondering.... Can the knob be fixed/replaced, it may be a simple issue.......?

I know this is what the title of this post is, but no one is going in that direction......

Last edited:
2012 EX and EX-L coupes have the premium 360w audio system w/amp. LX and lower coupe trims are 160w systems.

Thanks again, Webby. I understand that the EX has the premium sound package. I am thinking my best bet is to replace the radio/CD changer module with a used working unit (salvaged from wrecked car). I've found several online but cannot determine if the units I'm looking at are the standard model from the LX or the premium model from EX. Are they identical in appearance? If so, how would one be able to determine which is which? BTW, Monk, it does not appear that the knob can be replaced as a single component. The entire unit is built into the dash bezel and appears to require replacement of the entire unit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-HONDA-CI...X-L-/300960972835?vxp=mtr&hash=item4612ac0023

Thanks again, Webby. I understand that the EX has the premium sound package. I am thinking my best bet is to replace the radio/CD changer module with a used working unit (salvaged from wrecked car). I've found several online but cannot determine if the units I'm looking at are the standard model from the LX or the premium model from EX. Are they identical in appearance? If so, how would one be able to determine which is which? BTW, Monk, it does not appear that the knob can be replaced as a single component. The entire unit is built into the dash bezel and appears to require replacement of the entire unit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-HONDA-CI...X-L-/300960972835?vxp=mtr&hash=item4612ac0023
That isn't a premium audio system on ebay. The only sedan models that have a premium audio system in 2012 were the si models. The ex and ex-l sedans do not have the 360w systems.

The premium systems will have more output/input connections on the back to allow the amp hookups etc.

Compare the premium audio back -

image.jpg

To the non premium back below-

image.jpg

Okay; I think I'm starting to understand this better (slow learner...). I was mistaken in my belief that the EX had the premium audio package. The EX *COUPE* apparently does have the 360w system. The EX SEDAN has the 160w system, but has 6 speakers, where the LX SEDAN has only 4 speakers. I assume that the 160w unit (pictured above) in the LX and EX SEDANS are identical; the EX simply adds two speakers (pillar-mount tweeters?) that the LX does not have. In other words, I could use the radio from either an LX or EX Coupe; they would be identical. Am I on target now?

Does your radio says premium audio on top like this?

9825da2a4892ebe5cd1286bcdee5c7d8.jpg

If it does you have the premium audio system. It has 7 speakers. If not you have the non premium 160w audio with 4 speakers and possibly 2 tweeters.

It does *not* have the "Premium" designation on the face. It is clear that the unit in my Civic is the non-Premium unit. I will look for a salvaged non-Premium replacement - hopefully one that comes with the unlock code. Installation does not look too difficult, with proper trim tools, so I may attempt that myself.

The one in my car has "4BCJ" on the bottom right of the audio bezel. I also see a number of salvaged units with "2BC6" on eBay. Is there any difference between the two?

I know the faceplates are different. One says "phone" on the bottom left button

2BC6 below

ZWc8k2T.jpg

4BCJ below

Jm7Y40d.jpg

I don't have either to be able to test what the difference is

OK; I think I understand. The 4BCJ is for the Bluetooth-equipped models, which mine is. That is the one I need to look for. Many thanks.

Back