respirator

nat3d

Wait, I don't drive a civic anymore....
Adams MA
Vehicle Model
Ford Focus ST
Body Style
Hatch
hey guys im going to be doing a painting project this spring and im going be using some heavy duty stuff i guess. ive been looking to buy a decent reusable respirator anyway but this spring im going be using isocyanates and need to have a respirator while using it. anyone have any recommendations on some decent reusable respirators that can handle the fumes im going to be dealing with?

im reading up on it and i guess that **** is pretty nasty. i guess the mask with the 6001 filter isnt enough for extended use now i dono if im just being paranoid but you think if im just doing a very small section (no bigger than 2.5 square feet) ill be fine with that?

Isocyanates are bad for you, but solvents are just about as bad... 2.5 square feet is nothing at all. If you can do it outside in a calm warm day ( over 70F ) I would skip buying a respirator.

Isocyanates are bad for you, but solvents are just about as bad... 2.5 square feet is nothing at all. If you can do it outside in a calm warm day ( over 70F ) I would skip buying a respirator.
this job is small but i do do alot of spray painting during the summer thats why im looking at grabbing one regardless. im just a little nervous about the whole isocyanates thing

3m 60921 filters:
http://www.amazon.com/3M-60921-Respirator-Cartridge-Particulates/dp/B002D8ZR5K

Pesticide vapor (except fumigants, unless allowed on label), paint spraying (including paints containing isocyanates when cartridge change out schedule is in place, according to NIOSH approval) and organic vapor; particulates

half mask - multiple choices, but this works with those cartridges
http://www.amazon.com/3M-6200-Series-Cartridges-Piece/dp/B001QF9C5C/
yeah i was doing a bit of research and those will do the job the same as the 6001. the 6001 is a carbon based filter and the 60921 is the same carbon based filter with an aditonal layer for pesticides i think but it appears to me that the carbon one is the active blocker for the isocyanates. from what i read the isoc. soak the carbon after extended use and shouldnt be used for more than an hour at a time per osha standards. this mask comes with the 6001 filters and the simple particulate filters so i think ill do that (save a couple bucks as the 60921 filter is more expensive). but thank you for the input guys! its great having so much knowledge between everyone here to be able to answer any question.

Back