Rotating Tires

carpenj

Monroe, LA
Vehicle Model
Honda Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
It's time for the first tire rotation on my Si sedan, and I'd like to get it taken care of this weekend. I know that for my MXM4's I should only rotate front-to-back, but what is the best jack and jack stand placement to do this?

Try to jack the car up from under front control arm then put stand under side skirt jack point, remove jack and repeat on rear? Then switch sides? Or vice versa, with the jack on side skirt and stands under control arms?

It's time for the first tire rotation on my Si sedan, and I'd like to get it taken care of this weekend. I know that for my MXM4's I should only rotate front-to-back, but what is the best jack and jack stand placement to do this?

Try to jack the car up from under front control arm then put stand under side skirt jack point, remove jack and repeat on rear? Then switch sides? Or vice versa, with the jack on side skirt and stands under control arms?

Do yourself a favor and get another set of jack stands. It will make your life easier in the long run. They are cheap enough that there is no excuse not to have a second set. Whenever I put my car on four stands, I jack the car up starting in the rear under a control arm and use the side skirt point for the stand. Repeat on the other side. Then jack it up from the front of the car and place the other stands at the side skirt points.

Cautionary note: When jacking the car up from the first control arm in the rear, it is possible that you will lift both rear wheels up off the ground depending on how high you want the car. When you go to jack up the other rear side, your first jack stand will most likely slide a little bit. It has never moved enough to be a problem though.

I don't have two sets of stands, so I normally just do one side and then switch to the other. It surely wouldn't hurt to have another set of stands, but I've just not bought another set.

I don't have two sets of stands, so I normally just do one side and then switch to the other. It surely wouldn't hurt to have another set of stands, but I've just not bought another set.

Based on the rotation pattern, I found it tedious bordering on annoying only using one set. A second set is only $30 or so. Two sets was a lifesaver working on the DP and exhaust too. Also helps with manual transmission fluid changes since you want the car level when filling the transmission.

Back