Service Airbag System light

FooBird

If the Foo...well, you know. Just wear it.
VIP Member
Toys For Tots
Kirkland, WA
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Coupe
Been having the service airbag system light showing on my imid for a while, even though I only drove the car a few hundred miles the last year.

Got the code read and it indicated that the control module was having a problem. Just wonderful. I’m sure an airbag control module ain’t cheap.

it looks like you can find them used or from sites that pull parts out of wrecked cars. If it's the right part, I see one for like $50, but new from honda appears to be over 450?

I missed the specific code. It’s a faulty inflator on the driver’s side airbag per the troubleshooting. Apparently it’s an Autoliv airbag and passenger side is Takata. So driver’s side not under Takata recall. Dealer quoting over $1000 for the repair, needing to replace the whole airbag assembly.

I’m calling around to see what other options might be available.

does that dtc specifically say its a faulty inflator or is there diagnosis to get to that conclusion? is the code active or stored?

I’d have to ask. The code was stored and has been active for a while when I drive the car. I’d need to find out all the details on which code it is, how it was determined to be the inflator, etc.

Honda has the car right now.

Yeah. The dealer diagnosed it. Just expensive to fix. Called to local repair shops and body shops and nobody wants to touch it. They all contract out to an airbag service shop. I’ve called them and left a message but haven’t heard back.

thats pretty shitty. just looked at used ones on ebay. they are still expensive.

I missed the specific code. It’s a faulty inflator on the driver’s side airbag per the troubleshooting. Apparently it’s an Autoliv airbag and passenger side is Takata. So driver’s side not under Takata recall. Dealer quoting over $1000 for the repair, needing to replace the whole airbag assembly.

I’m calling around to see what other options might be available.
so it's not the system control module?

AH has this one, and then there are companies online that will do the reset procedure for like $50.

msrp new is $612 from a dealer

Last night when I dropped the car off, it was said that the code being read indicated that there was inconsistent power or power interruptions to the control module. They went in and worked the diagnosis further from the code last night. They ruled out the cable reel being bad, stating that it was faulty wiring on the inflator assembly and that they would need to replace whole airbag assembly.

The problem appeared to be intermittent. The SRS light wasn't always on. It would not be on for several trips or it would show up at the very end of the trip. I thought maybe it was one of the sensors had gone out, perhaps on the passenger side because of the intermittent nature of the light. I took delivery of the car 9 years ago a couple weeks back. So, to have things go wrong isn't necessarily unexpected but as it goes with this car, if it can throw and expensive repair at me, it'll do it.

Get the car back this afternoon. Should be in good working order but a much lighter wallet.

it's angry you only drove it a couple hundred miles, so now you need to go rip through vtec to make her happy. :dancingcoolsmiley:

I got her new shoes and some TLC. VTEC time is called for.

So you let them do the work? I thought you were waiting and checking for another quote?
I got the other quote back. It was $1000 vs. $1100 but they couldn't do the work for two weeks. Almost all of the cost was in the part itself.

Back