Sloppy shift mechanism??

daviddfg4

I recently purchased a 2012 civic si with 42k miles on it, now about to be at 50k but since I've got it I noticed the shifter is real sloppy, as in a lot of play in neutral and any gear, I can literally move the shifter an inch back and forth and prob like .5in side to side when in gear.

Is this normal? I'm looking into getting shifter base bushings and shifter cable bushings, but will those fix it? I'm pretty sure it's worn out but man it feels bad.

Thanks in advance

Yeah, that sounds pretty normal. Base bushing and cable bushings will definitely help in that area. Also getting a short shifter that completly replaces the factory one will help tighten it up too. Buddy Club and Acuity make good ones.

Are they really that sloppy stock?? I came from a 2006 civic si and I drove that thing from 24k miles to almost 80k before I sold it and never had any sloppiness this bad! Lol but I appreciate it!

Even with just a few thousand miles on mine, I noticed quite a bit of slop on both the '12 I had and the '14 I have right now. Never had an 8th gen to compare them too, but I was disappointed in how much there actually was. Also if you want to almost completely eliminate slop you can upgrade to Mtec springs. I have the Buddy Club short shifter, K-tuned shifter base bushings and Acuity cable bushings and most of the slop is gone.

I figured out on my 15' Si wasn't the base or cable bushings at all but actually two different areas. One being the pivot ball in the shifter cage itself that would give me side to side movement. The other one being inside the transmission itself. Yes those can help most peoples but my play in the shifter started around 2k miles and at 37k now.

Oh wow did you ever get the part inside the transmission fixed?? Is it serious?

I figured out on my 15' Si wasn't the base or cable bushings at all but actually two different areas. One being the pivot ball in the shifter cage itself that would give me side to side movement. The other one being inside the transmission itself. Yes those can help most peoples but my play in the shifter started around 2k miles and at 37k now.

Back