Smart Key

Cori

Am new to forum and just got 2014 Civic Ex. Is there anywhere online that explains how to change of the battery in the smart key and type of battery it uses? I see a you tube on Accord but did not know if it is the same.

Welcome!
As far as the keys being the same, I'd say they are(but don't know for sure, I don't have one). Most of the keys that have batteries in them are excessed by prying the two half's apart, in most cases you can see a very small slot/indentation somewhere on the half shell(clam).
A small straight slot(edge) screwdriver is inserted, then twist(try to get a SD that fits in the slot all the way from one end to the other, so as not to chew it up).

You will get some more responses when these peeps get off work....... I'm retired.... :D

Did you buy the car new? Just wondering why you need a new battery, I've had my car(2012) for 3 years and haven't had a issue. Just thinking it might be another issue.

Thank you. Didn't buy new and battery does not need to be replaced right now but wanted to be prepared.

I just looked at my smart key and didn't see a slot like @Monk mentioned. I even pulled out the "emergency" key out of it's slot to look.

I'm sure there is a way to pry it open somehow......just nothing obvious from looking at the key.

OK.. Here's what I have with "my" key in front of me, which only has a 4 button(Alarm/door locks/& unlocks/trunk).
Lying the key buttons down, there's a cross point(Phillips) screw near the key shaft, after it's unscrewed there's a indented slot on the side(one side) and is located near the key shaft as well(very small, need glasses to see).

I don't know if this will help, as I don't think I have the same key as yours. It may help others on this forum with my type key, when the time comes for them to replace theirs.

Good question.......:D

Last edited:
Back