stutter? if you can call it that

nat3d

Wait, I don't drive a civic anymore....
Adams MA
Vehicle Model
Ford Focus ST
Body Style
Hatch
sometimes when i take off from either a rolling stop or dead stop my car will kind of stutter (go as it should for a split second, then lurch quick feels like it goes wider throttle than it needs too) ive tried with econ off lately but it felt like it did it again tonight. its only happened a very few number of times so its hard.

i have a takeda intake and an 8th si exhaust

sometimes when i take off from either a rolling stop or dead stop my car will kind of stutter (go as it should for a split second, then lurch quick feels like it goes wider throttle than it needs too) ive tried with econ off lately but it felt like it did it again tonight. its only happened a very few number of times so its hard.

i have a takeda intake and an 8th si exhaust

Ok you made work for this one! First you have an automatic (didn't see a clutch master cylinder in yoru build pics). What you are feeling is completely characteristic for you vehicle. The A/T uses grade logic where the PCM compares actual driving conditions with "memorized" conditions based on various sensor inputs and tries to "predict" what you about to do and control shifting. This is condition you are experiencing - I bet you feel it mostly on an ascending or descending slope; the every popular "rolling stop" or as you slow to make a sharp corner and begin to accelerate away. The reason? Depending on the conditions, the PCM may actually open the throttle plate greater and quicker than what you have requested with the pedal position! This is done to keep the transmission from shifting too much (or not enough). I've felt it - it is extremely hard to duplicate - but it is absolutely normal.

I have it happen sometimes also. Mine decreased significantly with fresh trans fluid.

Ok you made work for this one! First you have an automatic (didn't see a clutch master cylinder in yoru build pics). What you are feeling is completely characteristic for you vehicle. The A/T uses grade logic where the PCM compares actual driving conditions with "memorized" conditions based on various sensor inputs and tries to "predict" what you about to do and control shifting. This is condition you are experiencing - I bet you feel it mostly on an ascending or descending slope; the every popular "rolling stop" or as you slow to make a sharp corner and begin to accelerate away. The reason? Depending on the conditions, the PCM may actually open the throttle plate greater and quicker than what you have requested with the pedal position! This is done to keep the transmission from shifting too much (or not enough). I've felt it - it is extremely hard to duplicate - but it is absolutely normal.

thank god lol i thought it was serious thank you so much guys :D

Last edited:
Just curious, did you experience this "stutter" when your A/C was on?

Mine has been acting quite bad lately with all the heat and really really high humidity. I don't worry about it anymore.

Mine has been acting quite bad lately with all the heat and really really high humidity. I don't worry about it anymore.

Okay I'm glad it's not just me. My car doesn't love the humidity and hot temps either- it surges if I'm coasting in gear and I find it much harder to start smoothly in first gear. I assume Rochester is just like Pittsburgh where it's been high 70s, low 80s but with crazy 80-95% humidity?

Reactions: Nix
Yeah. That's exactly the weather. We're also getting like one heavy downpour a day. Sitting at a stoplight it doesn't want to take off from the hot air just sitting. Then once the heatsoak starts to go away as im moving it has trouble picking a gear since it starts revving higher initially. I get this like hesitation then can't pick a gear stutter and jerk. A few seconds of fresh air into the system seems to clear it out.

Mine does that (2014 coupe, automatic) when cornering, scares the crap outta me because I need to go and it won't. REALLY poor engineering/programming, expected better from Honda. I've started left foot braking and keeping the rpms up as I go through a corner. Also trying shifting to S for city driving. It happens in all driving conditions at all times of the year with or without the a/c running. I'm wondering if it may be fixed with replacing the computer chip with an aftermarket performance chip.

Back