Supercharge DD

Sober Si Guy

anyone with a supercharged si that uses for dd? if so please let me know how it's working out for you and how long you've had it s/c. I plan on supercharging my si but will need for dd.

A few people have recently preordered their supercharger kits. I think it'll still be 3+ weeks till we get some installs.

Did you ever take it on a long trip? Like 800 miles.i know cobalts had a supercharger,and the Toyota p/u but they were factory.

Mine is sc with the ct kit and also my dd I have thrown 2 cel's but other than that no issues at all and ive put a few miles on it maybe 1k both cels were my fault!! Does run much better and more reliable since vit tuned it..

One issue I recently heard of on another forum is the potential for FI to melt the catalytic converters on the Si. That's something I hadn't heard before, and it's something that has caused me to re-think installing a SC. Yes, I could go cat-less, as many others have done, but I'm not sure how long it will be before they start doing emissions testing in my area. Plus, I may move to another state where emissions testing is already being done. So to keep my car reliable as a DD, I may not install any FI system.

I can't speak for the OP, but I'd love to hear from others who have gone the SC route and kept their cats on a DD.

Yea they emission test in Gwinnett county so that isn't good news.

anyone knows if warranty is voided by adding turbos or supercharger? I really wanna beat s2000's lol even if I have to save alot of money.

My own 8th gen has been S/c'd for ~60k miles (car has ~120k now). Most everything has broken at least once, aside from the blower and engine internals. (Drivetrain hasn't been soo lucky.) - But that's probably mostly due to my hooniganism.

Having said that, I've only had one issue with CT-E's S/c kit to date, and was a bearing failure in the smooth idler (occured on a revision 2 pulley which was ~10k miles old). CT-E's most recent (3rd or 4th revision) of the bearings used in these pulleys seems to have quelled all bearing failures, from what I gather from others using it, and my own experience.

Again, all associated "power unit" parts (ie. - all engine internals and accessories, and the blower itself) have had no issues.

However, I now always carry a spare belt and idler pulley, just in case.

Last edited:
One issue I recently heard of on another forum is the potential for FI to melt the catalytic converters on the Si. That's something I hadn't heard before, and it's something that has caused me to re-think installing a SC. Yes, I could go cat-less, as many others have done, but I'm not sure how long it will be before they start doing emissions testing in my area. Plus, I may move to another state where emissions testing is already being done. So to keep my car reliable as a DD, I may not install any FI system.

I can't speak for the OP, but I'd love to hear from others who have gone the SC route and kept their cats on a DD.

In "8th gen land" I believe we only have one documented case of this in the forums.

I've ran catless since I installed the blower. Inspection stations here don't seem to reliably do a visual, therefore (with FlashPro, and a proper tune) I've passed emissions everytime. (As FlashPro can/will force a "ready" state for the following key items: Primary O2 function, Secondary O2 function, and Presence of catalyst.) - You can confirm with @VitViper

Back