Thunk when shifting into 2nd

hwasa

Long Beach, CA
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
I've recently noticed that if I drive my car hard starting in 1st, as i shift to 2nd i hear a thunk. The sound appears to be coming from the engine but I'm not 100% sure. Usually on a spirited drive i drive 2nd hard into 3rd and there is no unusual sound. My only thought is maybe I need a rear engine mount like everyone talks about? Not really sure. Thanks in advance!

I really have no idea. Do you feel any type of feedback in the steering wheel, clutch pedal, ....anything, or it's just a noise?

Just a noise from what I can tell. Ill try to get a video of it today.

I've had a clunk/thunk in 1st starting out, 1-2 shifts, 2-3 shifts and it's usually not on even hard/spirited driving. I do drive hard a lot and have more than loosened up the RMM that i suspect as a partial or full cause. My newest noise is a almost "rattle" sound when releasing the clutch close to redline that wasn't always there. I think it's just my clutch disk springs absorbing the hard shift from the weak motor mount and high rpms. If your getting the clunk during gear changes then i'd say that is the RMM, if you get my clunk on clutch then i'm still trying to figure it out and a RMM will be my next attempt to try and change/solve my sounds.

What I don't understand in general is why any one would shift hard for any reason. Even when I was racing auto cross I never had shifted hard, it's always a smooth shift...... And. just for the record I was pretty much in 1st or top 3rd place in my class and above....... So it doesn't slow the speed down...... Even speed shifting can be smooth.... There's no need to "Gear-Jam".........

I said driving my car hard as in shifting at redline. Not smashing gears lol

Last edited:
I said driving my car hard as in shifting at redline. Not smashing gears lol
I wasn't referring to you, even though you are the OP, I am just talking about The general public when they're talking about driving hard, maybe the choice of words should be more pacific.
I know a lot of people crash though the gates of their selectors, and don't use their clutch properly when they are in the higher rpm range to smooth the shift out. That's what I'm talking about.... Not picking on you, I have no idea who you are, much less how you can drive, So don't think this was directed to you:thumb:

Your right monk, I've learned to slow down to speed up, if that makes sense. The fact I can get my noises at a 2k-3k cruising around is my main concern and it usually "pops/clunks" mid release of the clutch. Shift will be smooth but the pop still can be audible. My choice of words weren't the best saying hard but rather high rpm. I've figured out for 90% of the time now how to get the trans to transition smoothly vs what I was doing when I got the car 5k miles ago, 1-2 and 3-2 shifts used to be very choppy at lower rpms. What tips could you give on clutch use for redline shifts?

Your right monk, I've learned to slow down to speed up, if that makes sense. The fact I can get my noises at a 2k-3k cruising around is my main concern and it usually "pops/clunks" mid release of the clutch. Shift will be smooth but the pop still can be audible. My choice of words weren't the best saying hard but rather high rpm. I've figured out for 90% of the time now how to get the trans to transition smoothly vs what I was doing when I got the car 5k miles ago, 1-2 and 3-2 shifts used to be very choppy at lower rpms. What tips could you give on clutch use for redline shifts?

On a "mechanical" manual transmission(with out any out side forces, ie: cvd deletes, etc.)
The main thing is to push the pedal far enough to feel the pressure on your foot, but not enough to disengage the clutch, then when you are ready to shift, all you want to do is move the pedal far enough to take the pressure off the clutch plate(about an inch). Any more than that and you run the risk of losing the blend of the drive train rpm's.... Which is why they won't slide into place, because the engine and wheels are getting out of time with each other.. all the time wasted by pushing the pedal to the floor is allowing time for the drive train to lose it's sync.

Back