Trans making a noise in reverse

spyder_69

Philadelphia
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
sedan
my dumb self decided to drive around last week when it was snowing and didt notice there was a huge pothole. needless to say i hit it with both my driver side wheels and they are bent beyond return. now ive noticed a very loud clicking noise in the trans but only in reverse, ill be taking the car into the dealer today hopefully this time they dont say their is nothing wrong with my car. :banghead:

Auto or Manual? And does the clicking happen when you are backing up in a straight line or just when you are turning in reverse?

Auto or Manual? And does the clicking happen when you are backing up in a straight line or just when you are turning in reverse?

He has Si so it should be manual. I wonder where that noise is coming from.

He has Si

i noticed that literally right after I replied. I'm wondering if maybe there is some sort of damage to the differential from the impact. If the noise is consistent when the wheels are at two different speeds I would suspect damage there. Only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is damage to one (or both) of the cv joints. They tend to click or pop loudly when damaged or worn out.

my dumb self decided to drive around last week when it was snowing and didt notice there was a huge pothole. needless to say i hit it with both my driver side wheels and they are bent beyond return. now ive noticed a very loud clicking noise in the trans but only in reverse, ill be taking the car into the dealer today hopefully this time they dont say their is nothing wrong with my car. :banghead:
Are they the stock oem rims that bent? Pics?

Are they the stock oem rims that bent? Pics?
Yes stock wheels I actually have a video of me driving and you can notice it but in pictures it's not bad at all.
it happens all the time turning or not turning but only in reverse. Cars at the dealer now hopefully everything is covered besides the wheels. I Have another set just threw my stocks on for winter and I'm glad I did that

So got a call from the dealer. They say my trans is bad I asked what exactly was wrong and they couldn't tell me but I'm guessing it's the diff. Also said all the suspension on the driver side needs to be replaced I have had trans problems since day one with this car so it didn't surprise me when she said it was trash.

Interesting that you've had tranny problems from the beginning............ At least with this incident it brings it to light......... Blind pot holes are nasty.......

What problems exactly did you have with the gearbox since the beginning?

What problems exactly did you have with the gearbox since the beginning?
Car would get stuck in 2nd and while driving in 2nd i had to pump the catch to get it to come out. Also there was s grinding noise going into 2nd at times

Car would get stuck in 2nd and while driving in 2nd i had to pump the catch to get it to come out. Also there was s grinding noise going into 2nd at times
Must have been a monster pothole. Re the 2nd gear issue it would be helpful to know the Model Year of Si, purchased new or used, mileage.

Must have been a monster pothole. Re the 2nd gear issue it would be helpful to know the Model Year of Si, purchased new or used, mileage.
I actually slid into a curb in the snow but I didn't think it was hard enough to damage anything from the looks of it that's where it all came from. When I noticed the noise was after I hit the pothole so it could of just made it worse. It's a 2014 civic si and has under 5k on it

I actually slid into a curb in the snow but I didn't think it was hard enough to damage anything from the looks of it that's where it all came from. When I noticed the noise was after I hit the pothole so it could of just made it worse. It's a 2014 civic si and has under 5k on it
If you were under power, gassing it as opposed to braking or coasting, it's all related and won't be warranty. Sounds like you killed the suspension, drivetrain, and wheels/tires. Suspension and drivetrain, in normal vehicles, aren't designed to take sideloads and a curb is the worst thing to hit as it takes very little impact "speed" to put tremendous forces on everything. Let us know what the cost is to fix, I'm guessing $5-8 grand. Hopefully insurance covers - be aware that a police report may result in a citation for anything from "failure to keep within marked lanes" to careless operation.
Oh yeah, regarding the original transmission issue, did you buy the car new?

If you were under power, gassing it as opposed to braking or coasting, it's all related and won't be warranty. Sounds like you killed the suspension, drivetrain, and wheels/tires. Suspension and drivetrain, in normal vehicles, aren't designed to take sideloads and a curb is the worst thing to hit as it takes very little impact "speed" to put tremendous forces on everything. Let us know what the cost is to fix, I'm guessing $5-8 grand. Hopefully insurance covers - be aware that a police report may result in a citation for anything from "failure to keep within marked lanes" to careless operation.
One post up he commented about buying it new. Sucks. Keep us posted

there is no police report the car was drivable i drove it a whole week after the incident. the cost for the trans alone is $4000 in the end everything is coming out to about $6600

Back