vinyl roof overlays

nat3d

Wait, I don't drive a civic anymore....
Adams MA
Vehicle Model
Ford Focus ST
Body Style
Hatch
i know a couple people have done this and i had dipped my roof but that started peeling so i went back to stock but anyway... how much does it cost to do? can you diy? and how do you make it sit flush against the seals?

Generally installed around here in Ontario between 100 and 200 for the vinyl its self probably 60 if you're installing yourself

im just looking for gloss black thanks webby thats perfect but how do you get it to sit flush against the weather stripping?

Personally I would not get a pre cut overlay..... It makes it more difficult to line things up perfectly.... where as with a credit card & razor blade you can cut it right where you need it........... Use the CC edge to pre press the area where you'll be cutting..... Take your time.......

Personally I would not get a pre cut overlay..... It makes it more difficult to line things up perfectly.... where as with a credit card & razor blade you can cut it right where you need it........... Use the CC edge to pre press the area where you'll be cutting..... Take your time.......

Me too, the one I linked him too is a 5ftx6ft that will cover the entire roof but he will have to cut and tuck under the weatherstrip etc.

me? Lol I did mine a while back If you were gonna go with materials and do it yourself, I recommend this. Granted that I bought 300ft x 5ft a while back to wrap cars etc. but this is enough to do your roof and the material is easy to work with. If you want a DIY, I can vid one up of how to vinyl.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/gloss-black...Parts_Accessories&hash=item257b8422f8&vxp=mtr
sorry about the rez post but im still really cerrious about this. id like to do this myself this spring but ive never wrapped anything this big before. if you do this alot could you shoot me either a quick diy vid or step by step. granted im in no rush because i have until spring before i can do this. also what are the downsides of vinyl? it says its rated at 6 years but will it begin to fade before then? if i have to remove it what will happen to the paint underneath? and when i do this myself do i just tuck it underneath my weatherstripping?

I had mine done in October using the new 3m 1080 Wrap. I paid about $350 to get it done (sounds expensive but actually a bargain considering they did it 3 times! and wasted a lot of product to get it just right) It was nice to see the installer was a bigger perfectionist than myself :) I got their gloss finish and had to wait about 6 weeks for it to come in (East coast Canada) they took off the roof strips and reinstalled, went over all of the care instructions and gave me a 5 year warranty so overall I am pretty happy :)

photo 2 edt.JPG

I had mine done in October using the new 3m 1080 Wrap. I paid about $350 to get it done (sounds expensive but actually a bargain considering they did it 3 times! and wasted a lot of product to get it just right) It was nice to see the installer was a bigger perfectionist than myself :) I got their gloss finish and had to wait about 6 weeks for it to come in (East coast Canada) they took off the roof strips and reinstalled, went over all of the care instructions and gave me a 5 year warranty so overall I am pretty happy :)

View attachment 30345
:turboleghump: looks so sexy.... but damn 350... that hurts lol. how hard was it to take those strips out?

:turboleghump: looks so sexy.... but damn 350... that hurts lol. how hard was it to take those strips out?
Yea, had another quote from a place here of $250 ... but then i saw his work :barf:. I decided to use a company that was certified by 3M and wraps busses and other vehicles daily to ensure my satisfaction. The installer said the strips are pretty easy to take out. According to him there is just a plug on the front and back of the strip...and Thanks for the compliment!

Yea, had another quote from a place here of $250 ... but then i saw his work :barf:. I decided to use a company that was certified by 3M and wraps busses and other vehicles daily to ensure my satisfaction. The installer said the strips are pretty easy to take out. According to him there is just a plug on the front and back of the strip...and Thanks for the compliment!
np man. did he remove the small weather strip above your windshield?

np man. did he remove the small weather strip above your windshield?
no he left it on. They did lift it as they went along. 2 guys installed it which I would really recommend if you were to try it as well. Using a thin tool one was able to lift it a little bit at a time while the other fitted the vinyl under and made sure it was a proper alignment and fit. They simply tucked and flattened when they had the look they were going for.

no he left it on. They did lift it as they went along. 2 guys installed it which I would really recommend if you were to try it as well. Using a thin tool one was able to lift it a little bit at a time while the other fitted the vinyl under and made sure it was a proper alignment and fit. They simply tucked and flattened when they had the look they were going for.
yeah i would bribe my buddy with a six pack, the universal payment for helping with anything car related. :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::D

Back