Water Leak by C Pillar?

m0us3c0p

I've got a '12 Si Coupe. I went through the car wash last week, noticed a big water stain on my back seat. I took it to a local glass shop as I assumed it was probably around the back glass or something. They're telling me it's a body seam just below where the rear glass corner is and that it'll require body work to do. This is on the right side, and he claims there is evidence it's starting on the left as well. Is this anybody else has heard of? I'm afraid this could get expensive really fast.

do you have rust or a hole in the body work? @Dad does repair work, so he may know? I know some have had leaks in their sunroof & had to replace their sunroof gaskets. I know there is a drain tube for the sunroof that runs rearward down the c pillar if I'm not mistaken. I know other vehicles have had issues where that line was clogged and dumped water into the cabin.

The guy that looked at the car said it's not any of the drains. Originally he assumed it was so he was going to drop the headliner and clean all the drains out. He showed me where it's going in at, right at the corner of the top right of the rear glass.

Have you ever had repair work done on the roof or the quarter panel on that side? Have you had the rear glass out before?

To my knowledge nothing has been done to the car, but who's to say. I didn't get a car fax or anything with the car since I got it from a dealer and they let me get an extended warranty (and if wrecks aren't reported it won't show anyway). I can grab some pictures in a bit.

Here are pictures of the right side. I have pulled back the rubber strip on the right, but the guy at the glass shop says the water is coming in where the cracked are just below the glass.

Attachments

• IMG20220317125058.jpg
    IMG20220317125058.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG20220317125103.jpg
    IMG20220317125103.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6
id be running some water on that to make sure. looks like its possible to just clean the area and apply new seam sealer yourself, unless it runs under the glass.

I agree ^. I would clean that channel entirely and then assess it. I would think sealant could be used from looking at those pics. I don’t know what “body work” the guy thinks you need.

Looks like normal seam sealer to me with no real obvious evidence of prior (bad) body work. Clean around that rear glass and you can get some black urethane and get it down under that glass and you should be set. Or, if you want to be really thorough, you can have the rear glass pulled and re-urethaned in. My best guess is that it was replaced in the past and they didn't get enough urethane to fully seal right there

Looks like normal seam sealer to me with no real obvious evidence of prior (bad) body work. Clean around that rear glass and you can get some black urethane and get it down under that glass and you should be set. Or, if you want to be really thorough, you can have the rear glass pulled and re-urethaned in. My best guess is that it was replaced in the past and they didn't get enough urethane to fully seal right there
So from what you guys are seeing it's not that big of a deal?

The guy I had look at it runs an auto glass shop, that's what he does. He made it sound like this is a body seam problem and that it would require reconnecting the seams to properly fix, and that he couldn't do that since he doesn't do body work.

There doesn't look to be any issues with the seam sealer that I can see. There seems to be too much sunlight getting under the glass in this area

That seam you see going off to the right from the glass looks like a factory job, typically body guys can't get a bead of seam sealer to look that good

1647551873883.png

Back