Weird issue, don't know what it is.

lgaliza808

Kihei, Hawaii
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
I took a road trip a couple weeks ago, and my girlfriend and I switched off several times during our drive. We both took my car, and around 5 hours into the drive; the car's RPMs would rise while in gear. This happened while i was not pressing the clutch, and it seemed like the clutch was not fully disengaging/engaging. However, the clutch seemed like it was working perfectly. I was able to move from a complete stop, while in first gear, and also shift perfectly on the freeway. The only time the problem arises is when i give it some gas. The car would not move but the RPMs would go all the way to redline. Did this happen to anyone before? I would really like some help with this problem. I read on some other forums that it could have been the differentials or something wrong with the clutch, but the cars I read about were not able to move at all.

I took a road trip a couple weeks ago, and my girlfriend and I switched off several times during our drive. We both took my car, and around 5 hours into the drive; the car's RPMs would rise while in gear. This happened while i was not pressing the clutch, and it seemed like the clutch was not fully disengaging/engaging. However, the clutch seemed like it was working perfectly. I was able to move from a complete stop, while in first gear, and also shift perfectly on the freeway. The only time the problem arises is when i give it some gas. The car would not move but the RPMs would go all the way to redline. Did this happen to anyone before? I would really like some help with this problem. I read on some other forums that it could have been the differentials or something wrong with the clutch, but the cars I read about were not able to move at all.

Strange.
Was RPM rise actual (can hear it) or just the tach (see needle move) & vTech lights come on when giving it gas?
Either way take it in.

Strange.
Was RPM rise actual (can hear it) or just the tach (see needle move) & vTech lights come on when giving it gas?
Either way take it in.
Yeah just dropped the transmission. Looks like my clutch is gone. Note to self don't let your gf drive your car.

As i give it gas the rpms would rise but my speedo would take awhile to go up. It's cool tho it's a good thing i have a spare clutch kit in my garage. It's just a pain in the arse to do. That subframe weighs literally a million pounds.

This was your mistake. A mistake that should never happen again.

Damn, how did she kill the clutch??? I learned to drive stick shift(and in general) in my Si. I've also has my ex-girlfriend learn, and two other friends learn(wasn't the smartest choice on my part) but I'm at 50k miles and the clutch is still going. I probably have until 60-65k miles max though.

I recently learned that when teaching my girlfriend she never fully engages the clutch so i won't be surprised about my clutches short life

Back