What are these air filter things in my trunk and can I plug them up without consequences

Loppysaurusrex

These are the bane of my sound quality existence

ce312bb651eafaa27e507c9587c574f2.jpg

Spot on trunk they are ok both sides

b21d73156e227925cfa35ae98ed470a4.jpg

Image of the box

6f8d3d6221afaaf0513c9d25bfb75850.jpg

Close up of the flaps

Can I slap some weather stripping in there to cut airflow and road noise then put dynamat over them without eliminating some important function?

Do they have any clear tubes coming from them? I'm trying to recall where the sunroof drain tubes exit in the 9th. I don't have one to look.

The question is what gases?

They look removable but I'm not sure if they have some crucial purpose

Found this on another forum...

They are there to let air out when you are running the climate control on anything other than recirc. They also vent the car when the air bags pop. If the car is sealed up tight the bags will not inflate properly. You may also encounter problems with having to slam the doors to get them shut all the way.

Found this on another forum...

They are there to let air out when you are running the climate control on anything other than recirc. They also vent the car when the air bags pop. If the car is sealed up tight the bags will not inflate properly. You may also encounter problems with having to slam the doors to get them shut all the way.
This makes me sad

Can I just open the flaps to make to so they don't vibrate annoyingly?

Or would that have some negative consequences as well? I think I would be fine with a little bit of unwanted dirt

how about using something like a foam tape to pad the areas that are making noise? Something like this -
Amazon product
View: https://www.amazon.com/M-D-Building-Products-2758-Density/dp/B000CSIBCE/

Well the problem is that the box itself isn't making the noise

The little flaps vibrate loudly when the bass hits because of the moving air or at least I imagine that's what happens.

I have an idea to put some weather stripping inside a couple of the little open holes to prop open the flaps without sacrificing air flow, I'll see if this works or not then go from there, but yea not having your air bags work would kinda suck lol

Also I don't know if this is true but if those flaps are a gateway to the outside of the car, I imagine that's where a lot of the road noise seeps in that everyone is complaining about from the trunk area.

They cannot be removed without taking out the rear bumper so nope not doing that.

Guess I'll just put like 30 pounds of dynamat in my trunk area because the yoga mat thing didn't work all that perfectly.

Coat the area under the spare tire area. People seem to say that makes a dramatic difference. I've seen people just coat that area and say that.

Coat the area under the spare tire area. People seem to say that makes a dramatic difference. I've seen people just coat that area and say that.
I have a yoga mat underneath it right now but it doesn't seem to do much

I'll give it 30 pounds of dynamat and see what happens

They are for cabin pressure and to be able to close your doors with windows up, jus like that guy quoted above, I wouldn't recommend removing them you will get water in ur trunk but you can remove them by pushing those clips on the top and bottom, you can easily drop the bumper on the side, I'm just saying that you can do it but don't recommend, I'm sure most of the rattle is ur license plate or jus interior trim around the car, these flaps literally don't make much noise there like felt material with plastic housing

What he said:yeahthat::1:

Those vents are needed for proper air "flow" through the cabin. Every car made has them somewhere even trucks. A little late to the party though here lol

Back