What is this faintish noise from 14 SI while in gear?

MTSI14

Hi every one. Im a new member. Im seeking advice since Im not sure if the noise I hear while in gear is normal. I would appreciate some help on this. I really enjoy the 14 Si but Im not sure if this noise is normal or not. When the car warms up a little say about 3 - 5 miles I can hear a slight rattle sound that seems to originate from front left drivers side in the engine bay. But only when in gear not neutral. The noise is so faint that my passengers cannot hear it and a transmission tech , not Honda said they could not hear it as well from the passenger side. But we all know our cars, and this sound was not there when new. I have only 16000 miles on it and original owner. Originally I had an even louder rattle that would originate from the trunk area which was driving me nuts until I removed the spare in the trunk and found a lug wheel lock rattling around so I thought everything was good. That stopped all my turn rattles I was getting! But I am left with this persistent background rattle sound from the front.
Could this be the heat shield noise that I have read about? Probably not since the noise stops when the car costs in neutral?
Since it returns when put back into gear I have been suspecting transmission bearing issues more now. The clutch and gears shift fine with no noise during or after shift. There is no noise idling or on or off the clutch as well.
The sound gets more audible while costing down as the rpms drop but at hwy speeds I can hardly hear it because of too much road noise but I can faintly still hear it , and at lower speeds in the 20-40 mph range it is more detectable.
I have been loyal to Honda but I have lost faith in their transmissions since our 012 civic had to have a new trany put in after 40000 miles but we had the problem as early on as 20000 miles or sooner before replacing the tranny after 2 rebuild attempts from Honda!
I am very sensitive to noises and even though I have some hearing damage I hear certain frequencies really well.
So is a faint rattle sound that calms down slightly under throttle normal in these cars? Could it be the new exhaust on the 14's? All my other manual cars never had any sounds at all from them. Should I take a trip to the dealership or sit on it for awhile? Thanks

Last edited:
Welcome..........
I'd stick my hand in the bay(cool) and tap anything to see if you can find something that makes that sound.....Like a shield.....

Its pretty tight behind the motor. I will give it a try in the morning since its hot now. The noise is still very obvious on my commute home tonight. Mostly in the 2000-2800 rpm range. I have an appointment at the dealership on Tuesday if I cannot figure this out on my own or get some help from the forum. I am still baffled on this. My knowledge of cars is just maintenance and basic repairs which I do myself. I may try to jack the car up in the front and play around with the exhaust and see if I can find the heat shields.
Also I have heard that there is a manifold rattle from these cars, Is this true on some of these cars?
Im not sure what to expect at the dealership not that I am looking for a problem but we had to take my wife's 2012 back many times before said issue was resolved. The first few times they said nothing was wrong. 6 months later a new transmission was in. The noise sounds like roller bearings in a can thats like 50 to 100 feet away thats just being jingled lightly.
Thanks for your help so far.

Last edited:
Back