Winter/Snow Proof Help

DSpizzle

Oviedo, FL
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
I live in florida and have the factory summer tires on my car. Looking to drive to my parents for christmas for a couple weeks. Any suggestions as to what I should get for the snow?

"Summer tires" are really not good in low temperatures let alone snow/ice traction. The rubber is specially made for heat/high temperatures.

Can I ask what state/city/general area they live in?

If they live in a really cold/snowy area, is flying there an option...rental car?

Yea. I was going to match the price of winter tires with that of a rental car. Going to Iowa City IA. will be really cold. probably won't drive much when I get there but still want to get there!

Are you close to replacing the factory tires yet? In a couple months a new set of all seasons might be in order anyway. A good all-season is fine in light snow. It's not a snow tire but for a short trip and being in FL the rest of their lives that might be a better option.

My wife drove on Falken 912's last winter and we had a decent bit of snow here. We are from Upstate NY so we know how to drive in snow anyway but those tires did fine and they are just a "performance" all-season. She does have a set of snow tires, as do I, but they are a completely different beast.

Truthfully all seasons are meh at best in snow but are definitely better than anything rated as a "summer" tire. True snow tires have a much different rubber compound that behaves very differently when the temps get below 40. The tread depth and design is very different as well but mostly its the rubber. It wears very fast too which is why you don't want to run them year round.

If you're only going to be in a cold climate for a couple weeks out of the year I'd probably go with the rental.

Thank you guys. If all seasons would work, I may just buy some and hold onto them my summers. Can you mount tires onto the wheels by yourself?

Um... no not exactly. Mounting definitely requires a couple pieces of equipment. So does balancing. If you buy from a tire place they usually include mount/balance in the price of the tire. There are manual tire mounting machines out there you could buy if you wanted to do it but I would not trust myself to balance properly.

The couple day rental might be worth it for you.

Yea. I figured. Never have done anything with my wheels before. Thanks nix

Reactions: Nix
Any recommendation for all season tires. I know nothing about wheels and size/fitment. (I have stock 13 si wheels). Also, I have PRL CAI. Is there any danger with this in snowy conditions?

Back