wiring a alpine pxe-h660..

basstoy

Car Audio question..............
I just upgraded from a 13 lx to a '15 SI with navi (Can. version) and I am starting to think that this "premium" stereo is a pain in the *** to add a amp..... on my 2013 lx, I used the Alpine pxe-h660 on the front outputs from the stock head unit as a LOC/DSP and had a wonderfull *** kicking stereo. Now... with the SI, I read that I cant use front output at the head unit as a input to the pxe-h660 because they are "balanced" outputs. I've searched the internet and I cant find out if the DSP will take a balance line input... my dsp (pxe-h660)does have a rca input, but I don't know if it is able to accept a "balanced" input either. Now I also read that I cant or shouldnt wire it with the high level outputs after the factory amp because they are not full range when it exits the amp(sound)... so what am I to do... how do I wire my DSP in this SI?

Your exactly right. The outputs from the factory head unit to the amp are balanced differential outputs. Your dsp has to be able to accept this to work on the pre amp side. On the post amp side the sound is not full range. The factory amp does its own equalization. If your dsp doesn't accept this output then you either have to get one that does or change your head unit.

I looked up that unit. It's a sound processor similar to the Rockford fosgate 3sixty. The problem is to get it to work it has to be able to get a full range signal, either straight or channel summing. Problem is after the amps sound shaping I'm not sure that you can get a full range signal even with channel summing. The factory head unit puts out a full range signal, so refer to your manual, because I couldn't find anything about if that unit works with balanced differential outputs.

Last edited:
What Bulkybear said. You cannot use a DSP unless it can accept differential balanced inputs, or find some type of converter that can change a differential balanced signal to a regular pre-amp signal. Adding an amp is easy. The JL Audio XD series are fully compatible with differential balanced systems. Using your DSP will be the challenge. If you insist on using a DSP, then you need to rip out Honda's crap stereo and go all aftermarket. Welcome to Honda's lousy premium system, which sounds worse than their regular stereo.

I found the manual for that H660 on Crutchfield. That is one crazy DSP box! Wow, so many features to set on that one. Hang on to that because it is discontinued. According to the specs in the manual, it accepts line or differential inputs from the factory stereo. So yes, it looks like that will work with the head unit. I am sure it will sound great once you have all the settings properly adjusted to match all the equipment you plan on installing.

Back