Amp/Subwoofer question...

Spunjer

Vehicle Model
Sedan
Body Style
4dr
so i went to an audio store earlier trying to ask for some feedback regarding my sound system on my '13 ex-l sedan. my main purpose is to upgrade the sound system without going overboard; just want to have better clarity and deeper bass, and also leaving the head unit alone. the gentleman recommended i could just add a sub/amp combo and leave the OEM speakers. with the amp diverting the lower range to the sub, the speakers and tweeter should be good. so i asked him to do an estimate on his recommendation. this is what was written on the printout he gave me:
Subwoofer/Amplifier installation on OEM head unit. ensures right/left and/or summed mono signal input. reasonable efforts made to sync amplifier with radio/accessory/ R.A.P. circuit
9 wire speed cable
American bass 4 Ga. amp kit
PAC line output converter
17' RCA cable
Kicker 300 watt 4 channel amplifier
Kicker 12" Comp D subwoofer
12" dual sealed enclosure
total: $803.86 (out the door)
i was wondering if this is reasonable price or would it be overkill for what i want. if it is overkill, any recommendation? like i said, all i want is a better clarity and deeper bass than what i have right now (which is stock). i never dealt with audio shops before so i don't know if this is similar to going to a car dealership all over again with the salesman trying to rip you off. any comments will be appreciated. thanks in advance

bobshur

Atlanta
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic si
Body Style
Coupe
If that includes labor, I would go with a single channel amp if it's going to be a sub only..run the power wire,signal remote wire and pull the signal from the back sub so you can control it with the bass settings on the head unit..that's all you need...make sure you power it enough though

Spunjer

Vehicle Model
Sedan
Body Style
4dr
thank you all. yes, most likely it's just only going to be for the sub. i kinda doubt if i'm changing the OEM speakers at all. like i mentioned, i just need clarity with more bass with what i got now. hijisss, do you have any recommendation? anyone has basslink here?

hijisss

2 10"jbl on 1200 watt amp with line converter and amp kit for like 399.. Could upgrade the amp a bit to get louder and use the old one on your door speakers and have everything alot louder

jtittle7317

Tennessee
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
Yeah that salesman obviously is retarded. I agree with bobshur. Mono amp to run a sub. 4-channel amps are designed for door/rear speakers. Not subwoofers. Go to a different shop. Or build your own setup by researching here and online audio sites (Crutchfield/Amazon) and then take your equipment to an audio shop for installation. But every car audio shop now is going up on prices for labor

Spunjer

Vehicle Model
Sedan
Body Style
4dr
thanks, jtittle. yeah, been doing a lot of reading regarding car audios for the last few days. looks more like i'm going for your recommendation, as in building my own setup. with that said, now i'm leaning towards rockford fosgate P3/alpine mrv-m500 mono amp setup. as far as installation, i did call one of the bigger shops here in columbus (oh), and since i told him i wasn't buying the equipment from his place, just the labor alone is $179.00. that sound about right???

Hillstones

Valencia, CA
Vehicle Model
Maxima Platinum
Body Style
Sedan
That is expensive for adding an amp and sub with a generic box to the factory system. They are misguided in recommending a 4-channel amp for a subwoofer only. As others pointed out, if you only want the amp for the subwoofer, you can use a single-channel mono amp. Hijisss appears to be recommending something that is really loud and really boomy, and according to your original post, that was not what you are looking for. If you want better clarity and deeper bass, you can do a single 10" sub in the trunk and that will give you the bass you are looking for…clear, solid bass without the boomy rap music sound.

Spunjer

Vehicle Model
Sedan
Body Style
4dr
jlittle,
yes, labor and wiring..
hillstones, i am going with a single 10" sub (rockford-fosgate p31x10 loaded enclosure) powered by alpine mono amp.
but now, here's the problem that comes with reading too much crap on the 'net: i'm trying to justify whether i should get the LCQ-1 as well since while i'm on it, why not change the inside speakers as well, lol. haven't really read up on what is good out there.
good thing all of these is still in the planning stage. can't make a move til i get my refund from cancelling my extended warranty from the dealer...
sooooo, any suggestions on the best way to approach this?
just say you have a budget of $1,000.00 or so...

Hillstones

Valencia, CA
Vehicle Model
Maxima Platinum
Body Style
Sedan
I have heard mixed reviews on any type of sound processor device like the LCQ-1. I decided not to buy one when I did my stereo upgrade. Most reviews were mixed, saying it was nothing more than a band-aid and not an effective solution. I have the Premium Audio System so my upgrade was easy since the factory head unit was unpowered with pre-amp outputs that could feed directly into a JL Audio amp. Depending on what you buy, you should be able to buy a 5-channel amp, line out converters, new speakers, a sub, sub box, and amp wiring kit and do the job yourself for around $1,000. I paid a shop to do mine since they were more familiar with doing installs in Hondas. The JL Audio XD700/5 is a great amp, and small enough to fit under the front passenger seat. You should do component speakers up front, two-ways in the rear deck and the 10" sub in the trunk. The JL Audio 10" W3 is a great sub. I went with Focal speakers in the front and the rear deck. I also had the shop do dynamat in the entire trunk, rear deck, and around the front speakers in the doors. They also did a custom-made sub box on the side of the trunk so it would not take up much room. It was well worth it, but I spent more than your budget.

bobshur

Atlanta
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic si
Body Style
Coupe
I had a LCQ-1 when I had my premium set up, I loved the adjustments and it woke it up, but in the end the factory setup didn't provide the sound I wanted. The outage output was too low and still too bright for me. But nice depends what your goals are, for most it was more that enough..

Spunjer

Vehicle Model
Sedan
Body Style
4dr
new grocery list:

sub/amp combo
Rockford Fosgate P3-1x10 (10" enclosed sub)
Alpine MRV-M500

Rockford Fosgate P500-4 (4-channel)
Rockford Fosgate P165-s (component, front)
Rockford Fosgate P165 (rear)
LCQ-1

Kicker 09ZCK44 amplifier power wiring kit

would love to hear everyone's feedback on this set-up! scouring the internet, my total came to around $900.00, way better than what i posted on my original post. been learning a lot from you guys. thank you so much. regarding the LCQ-1, it's pretty much up in the air still. Bobshur, your feedback is very helpful, but i just need to read up some more on this. like i said, i'm not trying for a heavy thumper, just something that's clear, and a little bass...

Spunjer

Vehicle Model
Sedan
Body Style
4dr
another question: since i'm getting two separate amps, do i need two amp kits?