Hybrid Bushings

Abbz8377

Boston
Vehicle Model
CIVIC
Body Style
SI
Do you have your factory intake box or an aftermarket intake ? If you have factory you need to remove it and you will have access to both of the bushings once you do that you need to remove the metal clips that are holding the shifter cables in place these are a pain to get off and it takes a little effort once you have the metal clips removed then remove the pins holding the factory bushings in place and be EXTRA careful when you are removing the factory bushings not to bend the shifter cables after you get the factory bushing out just pop the new ones in put the new pins in secure the shifter cables back into the slots that they came out of and put the metal clips back on lightly tap them on with a hammer until they look like they did before you removed them best way I can explain it it's kind of a visual install.

Darkout

Cocoa, FL
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
I'm curious about other peoples experiences with the bushings and to see if what i have is normal (and i love the consistency in shifts these bring as I did install them) but i also bought them to take up slack in my shifter. The front to back movement is about 1/4-1/2 inch. Nothing major (at least I'm not too worried about it) but i was thinking that MORE of this slack would be taken up. The play from these to my stock stayed the same but feel wise they HR bushings are far superior. I'm 90% sure the play i feel is in the insert that you can see in the OP pic of the bigger main bushing with the bearing. The black ring (as you know if you put them in) is the sleeve and mine seems to have more play than i would assume a solid bushing to have between it and the bearing's inner race. I don't expect a press fit but the slack seems a little much from what i was expecting.

My question is....Does this sound right? Or may this be a minor defect?

I ask only since i had to wait an extra 2 weeks as parts were not available. Knowing how places get when rushed, curious if quality control slacked to get the production numbers back to par. Not doubting but i just want to make sure the product is preforming as should.

I know that some play is incorporated to keep cables from binding/breaking but the bearing relieves 90% of the angles that cause the issue so thus i ask lol. Love the product and orsport gave me great customer service just knit picking. Also I've never ran solid cable bushing so I'm adapting. Still the small drive i went on felt so much better between all shifts. Real test is in the morning when she's cold and cranky. :chill:

Darkout

Cocoa, FL
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
Being as I can never let anything be, I pulled my HR bushings out and attempted to fix the few "issues" that I wanted to address in hopes to reduce some slop. Unfortunately i didn't take any pics to help show you guys but the idea is basic enough to understand. There was three areas i addressed after removing both bushings from the cables. The circumference of both bushings had slop inside the cable eye-lit (1 and 2) and the slop in the small black insert I mentioned previously on the bigger bushing. That black insert fit snug on the "post" so the inside diameter is machined perfect. The small bushing has very slight slop between the inner diameter and the "post" it slides over; and that can't be addressed due to the way the bushing slides on (might look into something in the future but the side to side slop isn't a concern and minor at that, base bushings would help that)

So what did i do?!?!?!

Nothing special and don't think it'll last but was an experiment that so far (on the short trip around the block with motor and trans not fully warmed up) fells like a further improvement. All i did was take aluminium foil, cut it into strips and make shims for every matting surfaces that i mentioned. Both bushings feel extremely solid except for the minor play in the bearing which is 100% expected. The real question now is how long will these last. I wrapped each piece about 3-4 times and made them all press fit inserts (if you can follow). I'm pleased with the result and hope it lasts.

I still have more forward/back movement in neutral than I thought I would so I might have other issues (or not, hate being a perfectionist) that i'll look into later.