squiggy

Cartographer
Super Mod
Michiana
Vehicle Model
'12 Civic Si
Body Style
DBP II Coupe
Oooh business majors! Tell them they can't use calculators.

In an accounting class?! You are :flame:

One is Healthcare Management, one is Economics, and another is Actuarial Science.

Dar-Dar

Mordorator
North NJ
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Fiji Blue Pearl Coupe Coolest Member Since: May 15, 2011
Business majors take Microsoft Excel classes in my school.

ethlar

Grumpy Moderator
Super Mod
Philly
Vehicle Model
TLX 3.5 SH-AWD Tech
Body Style
Sedan
Im trying to avoid teaching, mostly because nothing has bugged me more than professors who clearly have no industry experience to back up their material. So i want to get more experience in the real world before i try to tell a classroom i know what im talking about when i say this is how you fix healthcare

omg_racing

Chapel Hill, NC
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
coupe
Im trying to avoid teaching, mostly because nothing has bugged me more than professors who clearly have no industry experience to back up their material. So i want to get more experience in the real world before i try to tell a classroom i know what im talking about when i say this is how you fix healthcare
Step 1: Fix healthcare Step 2: Explain to others how you did it.

ethlar

Grumpy Moderator
Super Mod
Philly
Vehicle Model
TLX 3.5 SH-AWD Tech
Body Style
Sedan
still working on step 1, have a good dissertation project picked out

ethlar

Grumpy Moderator
Super Mod
Philly
Vehicle Model
TLX 3.5 SH-AWD Tech
Body Style
Sedan
Im trying to get AHRQ or NSF to fund it, but i have to finish my thesis by december before i can start chasing funding

ethlar

Grumpy Moderator
Super Mod
Philly
Vehicle Model
TLX 3.5 SH-AWD Tech
Body Style
Sedan
Should have seen the look on most of the class' face when I told them I wouldn't be using PowerPoints! Keep in mind these are Business majors.

about 3 years ago i convinced my dad to stop using kodachrome slides to teach his anatomy and physiology classes, i helped him digitize his carousels and now he uses power point pretty much as a slide show. Every now and then i get a call when he realizes he can embed videos or add text. Its funny watching his students cause they go nuts trying to write down every word he has on his slides.

I also made him an excel grade sheet with all of his curve calculations instead of a calculator. Hes gone from being the most technologically illiterate professor to one of the more advanced

squiggy

Cartographer
Super Mod
Michiana
Vehicle Model
'12 Civic Si
Body Style
DBP II Coupe
@ethlar

Having the older teachers who refuse to embrace technology is always the worst.

I don't really like PowerPoints because most of the class just ignores you unless you make your own instead of using what the publisher provides. I have found that making it more interactive and engaging works much better.

omg_racing

Chapel Hill, NC
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
coupe
@ethlar

Having the older teachers who refuse to embrace technology is always the worst.

I don't really like PowerPoints because most of the class just ignores you unless you make your own instead of using what the publisher provides. I have found that making it more interactive and engaging works much better.

I make my own so I can show lots of pictures. This year I'm really cracking down on students who try to write every word. I need to convince them they don't need to do it!

ethlar

Grumpy Moderator
Super Mod
Philly
Vehicle Model
TLX 3.5 SH-AWD Tech
Body Style
Sedan
i definitely understand that, ive never had a professor use publisher slides for a class.

The one time i had a class with the prof who wrote the book, she used the book for problem sets and made her own notes for every lecture

squiggy

Cartographer
Super Mod
Michiana
Vehicle Model
'12 Civic Si
Body Style
DBP II Coupe
i definitely understand that, ive never had a professor use publisher slides for a class.

The one time i had a class with the prof who wrote the book, she used the book for problem sets and made her own notes for every lecture

Wouldn't her lecture notes be the publisher slides?

ethlar

Grumpy Moderator
Super Mod
Philly
Vehicle Model
TLX 3.5 SH-AWD Tech
Body Style
Sedan
nope, she made completely different ones, and handouts that she wrote up. I still have all 3 of her classes notes in binders on my shelf, when i was still doing thermodynamics they were more useful than the text books

FooBird

If the Foo...well, you know. Just wear it.
Kirkland, WA
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Coupe
Teachers screwed up my life! My mom is doing 7th grade this year. At some point during the school year, I get to go to her room and talk about the benefits of STEM subjects (big focus from O-bummer's common core program) and what kind of careers that path can take you down. Momma done wanna show off her successful boys to encourage her students.